I work in the medical field, but that does not mean that I am drinking the kool-aid (so to speak). While I think there is a very important role that Allopathic Medicine plays in our modern world, I do not think it is the answer for every illness. You sever a limb, go to the emergency room. Your develop a cough, or a cold…..maybe there are a few natural remedies you can try first before going to the doctor and starting on antibiotics. I have tried all of the natural remedies out there and I am very happy to report that my kids have never been on antibiotics, not even once!
Unbelievable List of 100+ DIY Remedies for Sick Season
But this can all be very confusing for parents, which remedy to try and when to toss the herbs/garlic/tonic and just plain head to the emergency room. Well, here is my general rule of thumb: look at your child (or anyone who is ill) and treat what you see. Go with your gut. Parents a lot of times “just know” when something is very wrong. Don’t try to treat something yourself at home if you think your child or family member is very very ill.
Call your health care provider if you are unsure or if any of these symptoms are present:
- not drinking fluids (dehydration is bad and can quickly turn grave, especially in small people…kids)
- excessive vomiting or diarrhea (this leads to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances)
- fever >104* F (even lower than that in very small babies)
- excessive sleepiness, unable to arouse
- uncontrolled bleeding (call 911!)
- confusion or personality changes
- infection that is spreading (you see a red line running up the body, stemming from the wound)
- foul smell or discharge that does not look right
- intense uncontrolled/unrelieved pain
….you get the picture, if it seems like an emergency or if your gut feeling is that the situation is bad, then go to your health care provider and seek assistance immediately!
If the symptoms are common colds, or anything that I have categorized below then try some of these remedies on for size. This post is not meant to be taken as direct medical advice. I put together this remedy round-up to help people find their way around the typical pharmaceutical remedies for everything. We do not need to be taking so many antibiotics! Let’s do a little prevention here and not so much symptomatic management (pharmaceutical band-aids). Healthy kids are so important. I know the health of my children is the most important thing in my life.
I’d like to start with a few of my remedies and methods to combat illness.
I make Elderberry Syrup and give a spoonful to my kids every morning during the winter months
Get the recipe HERE
We need to have a properly functioning detoxification system in order to have a properly functioning immune system. This is why I think routine detoxification is important. While the methods I have listed below are not really appropriate for children, I do think variations can be made for them. For example, instead of the ginger in the Ultimate Detox Bath post, have your child sip on bone broth and take a bath with a smaller dose of epsom salts. Incorporate the detoxifying foods in the Liver Cleansing Detox Smoothie recipe into the child’s food. Make them a smoothie with beets, carrots and apples…something they will actually drink!
The Ultimate Detox Bath is something that I do regularly to help get toxins out of my body!
Get the instructions HERE
I routinely drink my Liver Cleansing Detox Smoothie to give my detoxifying organs a boost!
Get the recipe HERE
The essentials that I always have on hand:
- Netti Pot (to irrigate the sinuses)
- Manuka Honey (for it’s medicinal benefits)
- Hot water bottle (to ease aches and pains)
- Thieves Essential Oil (to rub on little feet at the first signs of an illness)
- Coconut Oil (see the recipes below for all of the amazing uses for coconut oil!)
- Epsom Salts (for baths)
- Essential Oils (for so many uses) — Thieves, as mentioned above, is our go-to illness oil. But, there are SO MANY different oils what we use to combat illness. I love to learn more about them every day! I also get a lot of questions about them. If you are curious about how I use my oils, I have created an online class that talks about just that. You can listen in for free HERE. You can also join my EO Facebook Group where we talk about everything oily!
And now, here is my collection of DIY remedies. On with the show……
Boost Your Immunity:
Strep Throat & Sore Throats:
Burns & Sunburns:
Poison Ivy & Bug Bites:
BONUS Remedy Round-ups:
Article originally published on RealFoodRN.com republished with permission.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Kate Doubler is the author behind the blog Real Food RN
. A busy working mom of two young children, she manages to balance working as a Nurse in the Emergency Room, counselling clients in her nutrition business and finding time to write about Real Food and Essential Oils.
She loves experimenting in her kitchen and coming up with all sorts of new and creative real food recipes with the hopes of bettering the health of her family and anyone who follows her blog. She wholeheartedly believes that prevention is the best medicine.
Latest posts by Kate Doubler (see all)