If You Feel Constantly Stressed Out or Sleepy, Start Drinking These (It Could Be Adrenal Fatigue)
This fantastic article was written by Megan Thompson, health and beauty blogger at Gold Mountain Beauty. You can follow Gold Mountain Beauty on Instagram and Pinterest.
5 Drinks That Help Reverse Adrenal Fatigue
You’ve probably heard the term “adrenal fatigue’ before, but you may be surprised to learn that most of us are suffering from it to at least a mild degree.
Adrenal fatigue is becoming more and more common in modern society. It’s no surprise, as we’re constantly bombarded with stressful situations. Thanks to our hectic schedules and busy lives, we’re wearing ourselves out, and our health is paying the price.
Are you suffering from adrenal fatigue? Here’s how you’ll know — and five easy drink recipes to help you combat it.
What Is Adrenal Fatigue – Am I At Risk?
A little bit of stress is entirely normal. Although we might not like the feeling, it did evolve to help us in times of need, aka situations where our safety is threatened. The problem is chronic stress when our body gets stuck in “fight or flight” mode.
Chronic stress can be caused by anything from work to family life, and everything else in between. When you’re constantly worrying about deadlines, bills, your flat tire, your kid’s upcoming recital, and a whole host of other things, your adrenal glands stay permanently ‘on’ — pumping out stress-related hormones. Once these glands are depleted, your quality of life begins to dip as symptoms begin to surface.
If you are currently suffering from adrenal fatigue, you may display some or all of the following:
- You’re finding it increasingly difficult to deal with stress, and unable to focus
- You struggle to sleep and then get out of bed each morning
- You may experience mild depression, becoming irritable and moody
- You may find you’re becoming sick more often, due to a weakened immune system
- You’re craving salty or sweet foods
- You’re exhausted — and this fatigue is regular and lacks an explanation
Can you relate to these? There’s no need to panic: by making a few key lifestyle changes, you can take back control. Try cutting out processed foods, caffeine, sugar, and sweeteners, as well as learning how to reduce and effectively manage stress in your life (pro tip: try a meditation practice). This will allow your body to heal itself naturally.
5 Drinks to Reverse Adrenal Fatigue
In the meantime, consume these five drinks on a regular basis to speed up your recovery. They will work with your body to support your adrenals and help your hormones achieve optimal balance once again.
Here are five easy drink recipes to help reverse adrenal fatigue:
Lemon and sea salt tonic
Suffering from adrenal fatigue affects your levels of potassium and sodium, causing them to become unbalanced. In order to combat this electrolyte imbalance, add high quality Himalayan salt to a vitamin C-rich tonic.
- 8-ounces filtered water
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- Fresh lemon juice
- Simply combine all ingredients — and drink each morning and afternoon.
High vitamin C drink
Constantly producing adrenal hormones rapidly uses up vitamin C, meaning your levels of this vital vitamin end up depleted. This high vitamin C drink will give them a much needed boost – and as a bonus it also contains lots of good-for-you antioxidants.
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup spinach
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Pinch of quality Himalayan salt
- Blend until smooth, drink 1-2 times daily.
Valerian root tea
Helping you naturally lower stress levels and improving your ability to sleep and restore function, this herbal remedy is highly recommended. Valerian root tea contains compounds which act on your central nervous system to induce a sense of calmness.
- Valerian root tea
- Consume a blend of valerian and chamomile each night before you go to bed.
Licorice root tea
Licorice has been a part of Chinese medicine for at least 3000 years and is known to reduce adrenal gland stress. You can buy licorice in both dried and powdered forms at most health food stores – and use it to make your own healing tea.
- Licorice root tea
- Add 1 teaspoon of licorice root to just-boiled water, and allow it to steep for five minutes.
- Consume one cup each day, in order to restore proper adrenal function.
Matcha green tea
High in antioxidants, matcha is a powerhouse when it comes to promoting optimal internal balance. It’s also naturally energizing, helping you get through the morning or late afternoon without resorting to coffee. (It’s bad for the adrenals, remember?) And the l-theanine it contains helps support a more calm, blissful state of mind.
- Matcha green tea
- Get creative! You can add matcha to smoothies, bake it into cookies, or even turn it into a daily tea ritual.
- Just make sure you get your daily dose.
By taking action today, you’ll not only be allowing yourself to feel better – you’ll also reduce your risk of further harming your health. Try using these drinks whenever you’re experiencing a period of stress (and even when you’re not) to make sure you’re always giving your adrenals the support they need to stay healthy.
Don’t wait until you’re completely bogged down by stress and fatigue — take a proactive approach, by beginning today!
Latest posts by Megan Thompson (see all)
- How to Make Homemade Eczema Cream with All-Natural Ingredients - April 6, 2017
- If You Feel Constantly Stressed Out or Sleepy, Start Drinking These (It Could Be Adrenal Fatigue) - March 16, 2017
- 4 Sleep-Ruining Essential Oils You Should Never Use Before Bed – Swap In These Instead! - February 8, 2017
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook