Slice an apple, add coconut oil and cinnamon. The result? This unbelievable dessert.
Warm and spiced, these Hasselback apples are the perfect indulgent dessert to dig into. Top with coconut ice cream for à la mode decadence.
This Hasselback apple recipe is very simple to make. To mimic the flaky crust texture of apple pie, the apple slices are filled and coated with chopped walnut pieces, adding a toasted crunch to the recipe.
To make the Hasselback apples, start with cored apples that are sliced in half. I like to use a large knife to cut into the apple, then gently rock the knife from front to back to get clean slices. Do not cut completely through the apples. Next, the apples are brushed with a combination of melted grass-fed butter, coconut sugar, and cinnamon.
Note: You can use coconut oil instead of grass-fed butter. Use your brush to push the mixture in between the slices. The apples are then baked to soften.
Once soft, the walnut mixture is spooned on top and baked again to toast the walnuts. This is when the flavors start to deepen. You can top your Hasselback apples with any of your favorite Paleo ice cream flavors. I like this simple recipe for coconut ice cream and find it complements the apple cinnamon flavor. Spoon any leftover walnut mixture over the ice cream and dig in!
Warm Spiced Hasselback Apples
For the Apples
- 1 large apple peeled, cored and cut in half vertically
- 1 tablespoon melted grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Paleo ice cream
For Walnut Filling
- 2 tablespoon grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F and coat a small baking dish with extra virgin olive oil.
- Slice apple halves across continuously in ⅛-inch slices, but do not cut all the way through. Place into baking pan.
- Stir together 1 tablespoon melted grass-fed butter, 2 teaspoons coconut sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Brush each apple with mixture.
- Cover apples with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cool.
- As apples are cooling, stir together ingredients for the walnut filling. Use fingers to gently fan the slices of apples open and spoon in walnut filling. Place back into the oven and bake 10 minutes.
- Serve with Paleo ice cream.
- Top with any extra walnut filling.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Paleo Hacks (see all)
- These Avocado Grilled Cauliflower Sandwiches Will Make You Forget Grilled Cheese - March 13, 2018
- 7 Gentle Yoga Moves to Fix Sciatica Pain - March 7, 2018
- 27 Easy Low Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes - January 9, 2018