Cut an apple like THIS for a delicious recipe that is 100% gluten-free
This fantastic article was written by Sophie Addison, a popular blogger and skincare expert. We encourage you to check her out on Facebook, and Pinterest.
There’s a trending fall dessert recipe that looks impressive, tastes great, and is also healthy. Sounds too good to be true? Well, we believe that with a bit of adjusting this recipe can become even better. The recipe we’re talking about is healthy apple roses, and it was originally posted on Cooing With Manuela blog. The recipe has recently gained in popularity. Although the original is pretty impressive, we’ve decided to give it a slight twist by replacing a couple of ingredients. Keep reading to find out how you can make a gluten-free and sugar-free version of this already amazing recipe.
The Original Healthy Apple Roses Recipe
Although the recipe may seem challenging at first, it is pretty easy to make and only requires a bit of patience and a steady hand. You can get the full instruction and a video description on the Cooking With Manuela blog. The individual roses are pretty low in calories for a dessert and provide the additional benefit of fiber. While you may have heard about the health benefits of omega-3 in your diet, keeping your fiber intake at the recommended levels is equally important.
The original recipe for healthy apple roses calls for…
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 2 red delicious apples
- Juice of half a lemon
- Flour for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons of apricot preserve, cinnamon, and powdered sugar.
The recipe takes just 20 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to bake. All you have to do is cut the apples into thin sheets and heat them a bit in the microwave for easier rolling. You need to arrange them on the puff pastry sheets coated with apricot preserve and season with cinnamon and powdered sugar. The result is strikingly beautiful roses.
The Healthier Version
We believe that by replacing wheat flour with a gluten-free puff pastry can improve this desserts digestibility and make a better version for those with gluten intolerance. In addition to this, we suggest skipping on the powdered sugar and sprinkling the apples with a honey and lemon glaze.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
This will not only caramelize the apples improving the dessert’s taste but also make for a healthier version. Studies show that honey is a healthier alternative to other sweeteners including sugar and fructose. Honey was also found to have a gentler effect on blood sugar levels in addition to providing the body with vitamins and antioxidants.
- 1 ½ oz of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust Mix
- ½ oz of butter
- 2 tablespoons of ice water
- 2 red delicious apples
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons of apricot preserve
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- To make gluten-free puff pastry dough using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix make sure to follow the instruction provided on bobsredmill.com. You can make the pastry using the measurements provided on this website and freeze the extra for later or just make enough puff pastry for the healthy apple roses using the measurements listed above.
- Next, cut the apples in half and core them. Do not peel the apples and cut them into paper-thin slices as shown in the original recipe.
- Submerge the apple slices in half of the lemon juice and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Next, stretch the prepared dough into a rectangular shape (12 x 9 inch).
- Cut the dough into 6 equal strips and spread a thin layer of apricot preserve on the dough slices. Drain the apples, and arrange the apple slices as shown in the original recipe.
- Fold the dough to form roses.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice with honey and glaze the top of the roses with the honey lemon mixture using a baking brush.
- Arrange the roses in a muffin mold and bake at Bake at 375 º F for 45 minutes.
Serving and Storing Apple Roses
Manuela recommends serving these apple roses while they’re still warm. But the apples can be stored in a cool and dry place for up to two days or in an air-tight container in the fridge for three days. You can always warm the apples up in the microwave before serving them.
Our version of even healthier apple roses given here is a celiac-friendly option that also provides the additional health benefits of honey. Honey is a rich source of vital B vitamins that are known as some of the best memory vitamins according to an article published in Nutrition & Metabolism.
These apple roses are pretty easy to make. They’re also easy to adjust to your personal preferences. The gluten-free puff pastry used in our healthier version does not contain wheat flour, but you will barely notice any difference regarding taste and flavor. The addition of a honey-lemon glaze also provides a flavor boost to already delicious apple roses and is much friendlier to your blood glucose levels. Make sure to serve the apple roses while they’re warm and eat them within two days.
Here are a few more delicious, healthy apple desserts you can try at home!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Sophie Addison (see all)
- These 10-Minute Full-Body Workouts Will Burn Fat and Strengthen Your Body - September 6, 2017
- Homemade Tinted Moisturizer That Works Better Than Toxic, Expensive Foundations (Recipe) - August 3, 2017
- 7 Truths About Bras That Almost Nobody Talks About - June 21, 2017