Better Than Reese’s: How To Make Chocolate Nut Butter Cups Without Toxic Additives
This article is shared with permission from our friends, Jenni + Mimi, Registered Holistic Nutritionists and founders of at The Naughty Nutritionists. Join our Naughty Kitchen and Download your FREE copy of the “10 Naughty Secrets to NEVER Diet Again” … These are our juicy secrets for losing weight & feeling beautiful in your body without dieting ever again… Download here !
This is definitely one of those ‘eat this instead of that’ recipes. If you are a Reese’s Cups lover, you absolutely need to test out this recipe. It is your healthified version of the candy bar that you know and love. Plus, this recipe is so simple to make, you can make it in huge batches and freeze (so you don’t need to keep running to the store) and it is much better for you. It has no dairy, it is low in sugar, and it is high in protein, which means that a few bites will do. We might be ditching our processed chocolate bars for a home made one, but does it really have any other health benefits? Why yes, yes it does:
5 Benefits of Eating these Nut Butter Cups and Ditching the Reese:
- High protein from nuts! Do you ever notice an afternoon slump, or that sugar craving that just won’t quit post lunch? It usually means your blood sugars are crashing causing cravings, tired and hunger. The best (and healthiest) way to nip it in the bud is protein and some healthy fats. That’s why munching on a handful of nuts can come in handy when you’re starting to feel peckish. Protein leaves you feeling full for a great chunk of time.
- Low sugar snack. Usually when blood sugar dips, and hunger kicks in- especially hunger for a sweet treat; we tend to reach for something that is jam packed with sugar (muffin/pastry/candy bar etc.). These options don’t actually leave you full and just promote your blood sugar to become out of whack again. A low sugar/high protein snack will help balance those blood sugars and hopefully help you look towards eating a healthy meal.
- Coconut oil. Most nutrition blogs will talk a great deal about coconut oil, and why not? Not only is it good for you skin, your teeth, your hair, but it is also an incredible oil to add to your food. Contrary to popular belief the Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCTs) found in coconut oil can help speed up your metabolism, aiding in weight loss. It can help with bone health, fatigue, acid reflux and helps strengthen the liver. These are just a few benefits that coconut oil has to offer.
- Bite sized. Having a pre-packaged bite sized snack to munch on post lunch is a great thing. You pack 3, you only have an option of eating 3 and by the time you are done you wont need any more. It doesn’t leave you with that awful sugar spike and crash. This means you can kiss your need to mow down goodbye.
- Easy to prep, easy to take on the go. This doesn’t need much explaining. When something is easy to make, it makes it much easier to pack it up and leave the house with it ready to eat for when your body is telling you to pick up a snack. This makes walking to the convenience store or vending machine to pick up something that offers no nutritional a lot less likely.
Salted Chocolate Nut Butter Cups
This is your healthified version of the Reese candy bar that you know and love.
- 3/4 cup almond flour/ meal
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour or brown rice flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter or sunflower butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips 70%+
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
Mix the base in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
Place in muffin liners evenly and place in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes to harden.
Prepare chocolate topping by microwaving chocolate chips in 15-second intervals, stirring in between. Microwave until liquid then place coconut oil and stir.
Top each peanut butter cup with chocolate.
Sprinkle a pinch of salt on each cup.
Place in the fridge for a few hours until chocolate solidifies (about 2 hours).
Roll peanut butter into balls.
Dip in melted chocolate/coconut oil mixture
Place on parchment paper baking sheet.
Sprinkle with salt.
Place in fridge until hardened (about 2 hours).
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Let them cool completely before enjoying. Double or triple the recipe for leftovers to enjoy for days.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Naughty Nutritionists (see all)
- Double Dark Chocolate Brownies with High Fiber, Healthy Fat, and Zero Gluten - October 19, 2017
- Anti-Inflammatory Sweet Potato Chili with Black Beans, Cumin, and More - October 19, 2017
- Better Than Reese’s: How To Make Chocolate Nut Butter Cups Without Toxic Additives - October 19, 2017