The black healing salve that Amish people have used for centuries to treat almost any skin problem
This fantastic article was written by Sophie Addison, a popular blogger and skincare expert. We encourage you to check her out on Facebook and Pinterest.
Black healing salve is a natural remedy, used since the oldest of times, by people belonging to the Amish community. Today, this ointment has become quite popular, being used not only to pull out toxins but also any foreign objects stuck into the skin.
The ointment is a mixture of natural remedies, including essential oils, wax, and tar/activated charcoal. As you will have the opportunity to read below, the activated charcoal is one of the main ingredients of this ointment. Used for the treatment of minor skin issues, it has proven out to be quite effective, helping the skin heal faster and return to its healthy status.
What is Black Healing Salve Recommended For?
All sort of minor skin issues, such as burns and rashes, can be successfully treated with the help of this wonderful ointment. In the Amish community, it is known as “Hilla schemer” or the “healing smear,” being used for the removal of toxins and also of foreign objects, such as wooden or metal splinters, from the skin.
It is one of the best ways to remove skin tags, its strength and effectiveness depending on the chosen recipe (and clearly the ingredients used).
Black healing salve can be used to heal boils, as it draws the pus to the surface and stimulates the faster healing of the skin. It is recommended for the removal of thorns and glass shards, as well as for the treatment of cystic acne and insect/spider bites.
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
If you have had a nasty encounter with poison ivy or oak, you can use black healing salve with confidence. Ingrown toenails can be treated with this natural remedy as well.
Black Salve and Skin Cancer
A quick search on the Internet will reveal to you that black salve can be used to treat skin cancer. However, this should not be confused with black healing salve, which is a natural remedy recommended for minor skin issues and not serious conditions, such as skin cancer.
The black salve to which some people are referring to is, first of all, a controversial solution for skin cancer, and one that has yet to be proven effective. It is a name used to cover a group of natural corrosive agents, also known as escharotics.
One of the main ingredients belonging to this group is indeed a natural remedy, meaning bloodroot, being recommended for the treatment of basal and squamous skin cell carcinoma. However, such treatments are not backed up by scientific evidence.
So, make sure not to confuse this controversial treatment with the black healing salve, which is a natural remedy and recommended for other complaints. For example, if you want to learn how to get rid of acne, you should research the black healing salve a little bit more.
Black Healing Salve
If you are interested in preparing the black healing salve in the comfort of your home, these are the ingredients you are going to require:
- Castor oil – found here (1/2 c) – anti-inflammatory, skin moisturizing, reduces acne
- Coconut oil (1/2 c) – anti-inflammatory, skin moisturizing, antibacterial, antiseptic, stimulates the faster healing of the skin
- Activated charcoal (3 teaspoons) – pulls out toxins and foreign bodies from the level of the skin; reduces stinging sensation in case of poison ivy/insect bites
- Bentonite clay (3 teaspoons) – similar benefits to activated charcoal; ensures the non-greasy consistency of the product
- Beeswax (2 teaspoons) – improves the overall texture, plus it acts as binding agent
- Calendula oil (10 drops) – anti-inflammatory, skin moisturizing, antibacterial, stimulates the faster healing of the skin.
- Take a large bowl and mix the bentonite clay with the activated charcoal and essential oils.
- Melt the beeswax and mix it with the calendula oil, using a double boiler. If you do not have a double boiler, you can place a glass bowl over a pot of hot water, and it will serve the same purpose.
- Mix the melted wax with the other ingredients, pour the resulting mixture into a glass jar (airtight) and allow it to cool.
Note: always store in an air-tight glass jar, for the ingredients to maintain the same level of efficiency. Keep the jar away from direct sunlight and use it for several weeks without worries.
Ingredients make the difference between the black healing salve and the controversial version (black salve for skin cancer)
As you have seen above, the black healing salve is based on a recipe that contains only natural ingredients, such as essential oils, beeswax, and activated charcoal. The choice of ingredients recommends the ointment for minor skin issues, like the ones mentioned above.
The black salve, on the other hand, recommended for the treatment of skin cancer, contains different ingredients, its formula being more potent. Among the most common ingredients chosen for this controversial version, there are chloride zinc and powdered bloodroot. So, always use the difference in ingredients, to distinguish between the natural black healing salve and the more potent version, which has highly-erosive properties.
In conclusion, Black healing salve is a wonderful natural remedy, one that has its roots in the Amish community but is popular all over the world nowadays. It is recommended for minor skin issues, pulling out toxins, foreign bodies and helping one deal with acne. It should never be confused with the more potent black salve, which contains zinc and bloodroot, being recommended as a controversial treatment for skin cancer.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Sophie Addison (see all)
- These 10-Minute Full-Body Workouts Will Burn Fat and Strengthen Your Body - September 6, 2017
- Homemade Tinted Moisturizer That Works Better Than Toxic, Expensive Foundations (Recipe) - August 3, 2017
- 7 Truths About Bras That Almost Nobody Talks About - June 21, 2017