This article is shared with permission from our friends at foodmatters.tv.
The Most Delicious Breadless Burger Recipe You Will Ever Try
Have you ever wanted a burger without the fatty meat patty or refined white flour bun? Now you can!
These delicious Portobello Mushroom Burgers allow you to drop the traditional burger buns by adding two delicious, nutrient-rich portobello mushrooms instead!
Between the mushrooms, you’ll be adding a mix of quinoa, cauliflower and a hearty mix of nuts, seeds, and spices. Quinoa is an amazing source of protein but it won’t leave you feeling tired and energy-less like a big heap of meat that’s high in fat would. In fact, this superfood does the exact opposite. Quinoa is a complex carbohydrate and is full of essential amino acids, both of which make it an ideal source of energy.
Fill these ‘burgers’ with your favorite fillings, they’re sure to satisfy! Burger addicts will be surprised at just how hearty this burger is, even without a big slab of meat or big bun of empty carbs.
Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Spicy Cauliflower Patties
Serves: 6-8 patties
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the Spicy Cauliflower Patty
- 1 cup quinoa cooked in 1 cup broth or water
- 1/2 head cauliflower (about 6 cups florets)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili
- 1 cup ground almonds, or almond meal
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 chia or flax egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water, allow to sit for them to absorb water)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Pinch of black pepper
For the “Buns”…
- Portobello mushrooms (enough for 2 per person)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
For the Slaw…
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Add cooked quinoa, cauliflower, cumin, chili, almond meal, nutritional yeast, chia egg, Himalayan salt and pepper to the food process. Process until mixture is combined well.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, take 1/4 cup of patty mixture and form into 6-8 patties on the baking tray, aiming to keep them about the same size as your portobello buns.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil, tamari, and rice wine vinegar. Brush tops of portobello mushrooms with this and sprinkle sesame seeds. Place on another lined baking tray and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- While your buns and patties are baking, put together all of the slaw ingredients (cabbage, carrot, apple cider vinegar, salt and coconut sugar) in a medium bowl and mix well.
- In another small bowl, mash together avocado, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Once patties are cooked, remove from oven and assemble your burgers!
Here are two more bunless burgers – Sweet Potato Basil Turkey Burger and Portobello Mushroom Burger!
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Your daily dose of health & wellness inspiration including healthy recipes, nutrition tips, wellness guides and the latest news on natural health.
Are you sick and tired of the confusion surrounding food?
Want to feel good and prevent or reverse illness and disease?
Join the leaders in nutrition and natural healing from around the globe in a mission to uncover the truth...
Latest posts by Food Matters (see all)