This Chocolate-Coconut Bar Recipe Will Help Keep Your Colon Clean and Healthy
This article is shared with permission from our friends at Holistic Saffron.
Natural Remedies For Constipation
Constipation is a common complaint amongst children and adults. OTC and Prescription constipation drugs come with lots of long-term side effects. Even if your baby’s pediatrician says that Miralax is safe know that it is NOT safe and comes with lots of immediate and long-term side effects so research well before taking or giving any laxatives to children.
This recipe is safe for children 6 months and up if you substitute honey with other natural sweeteners because honey is not safe for children younger than 12 months. But remember that an exclusively breastfed babies may go without passing stool for even a week sometimes and that’s totally normal unless the baby is in pain or discomfort.
Safe for pregnant and nursing Mamas too. Slippery Elm bark is safe in small quantity for pregnant Mamas.
Coconut oil, Dates, Flax Seeds and Slippery elm bark are natural laxatives which is why this recipe works so well! Magnesium in chocolate is another secret here but I do not recommend giving Raw Cacao to children everyday as it also contains caffeine. Give this at the first sign of constipation. Up to 3 bars a day not exceeding 1 oz or 30 gms.
This not only is a safe and effective herbal remedy but it also tastes yummy! After all, who can resist a bar of chocolate right?
Yummy Herbal Chocolate Bar Recipe for Constipation
- 1/3rd Cup Raw Cacao Powder (this is a good brand)
- 1/3rd Cup Cold Pressed Coconut Oil (you can buy this brand)
- 1/3rd Cup Honey (use other natural sweeteners for children under 12 months)
- 1 teaspoon Slippery Elm Bark Powder (from Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Flax Seeds
- Some finely chopped dates
You can also add some finely chopped walnuts.
- In a double boiler gently melt the coconut oil. Skip this step if your coconut oil is already in liquid form.
- Mix in all the ingredients slowly.
- Once everything is mixed well pour it into a safe chocolate or candy mold.
- Let it set in a refrigerator for 5-6 hours.
- Remove it from the mold and store in an airtight container in a refrigerator. Remember that it has to be refrigerated otherwise, your chocolate will melt as it is coconut oil based.
- If you don’t have Slippery Elm Bark you can still try this recipe with other ingredients listed above as Coconut Oil and Flax are gentle laxatives too.
Other helpful tips to prevent constipation:
Drink enough fluids throughout the day especially if you are eating a fiber-rich diet. If you don’t like to drink plain water then try infused water that is infused with fruits, herbs or spices.
Deep breathing helps move some energy in your digestive tract so instead of straining yourself relax and try deep breathing. Inhale at a count of 4 and exhale at a count of 8.
Include prunes, dates, peaches, papaya, plums, pineapple, figs, berries, avocado etc. in your diet to prevent constipation.
Avoid refined flour, dairy and sugar because these foods make constipation worse.
Have a Blessed Weekend 🙂
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!