Healthy Coconut Ice Squares Recipe (Artificial Dye-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
This amazing article was written by Sasha Brown, health writer, and owner of VoxNature and Affordableblogging.com. You can check out her website here or follow her on Facebook.
Coconut ice is one of those treats that you almost certainly had as a child but have not touched since being an adult. That is about to change now that you have access to a recipe that is healthier than the way that it is traditionally made.
The conventional recipe calls for heaps of sugar and artificial dyes, but those are easy to swap out when necessary. Here you won’t find unhealthy refined sugar or questionable store-bought dyes.
There is also no caffeine like coffee and some teas, so you can feel good about sharing the snack with your kids.
Coconut Ice Candy
Serving: 12 Squares
- 5 Cups of shredded coconut, plus some for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup of coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of coconut sugar or coconut nectar
- A dash of sea salt
- 6 tablespoons of raspberries or 3 tablespoons grated beetroot (for color)
*Note: If the coconut sugar is dark, you may just opt for the nectar.
- Blend 4 cups of the coconut shreds in a blender until the texture becomes similar to butter. This may take up to 5 minutes. It should turn into a mixture that can be poured.
- Add the coconut cream, vanilla extract, coconut sugar/nectar and sea salt. Blend all of this until it is completely combined.
- Add the last cup of coconut in and slightly pulse to keep the texture.
- Pour half of this mixture into a baking paper-lined tray, and smooth it down with a spatula. Place this in the freezer.
- Add your colorant to the remaining mixture and blend until it is combined.
- Once the white mixture is firm, remove it from the freezer and pour the pink layer on top and use a spatula to smooth it out.
- Sprinkle a bit more shredded coconut on top, and place it back in the freezer to firm up.
- Slice it into 12 squares.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
If these snacks will be consumed in the near future, it can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. Otherwise, they can be stored in a sealed container in the freezer for a couple months.
So you are not tempted to eat all of this delicious recipe in one sitting, it is a great snack to pack in a child’s lunchbox—they will surely be thankful for that. Snack on this healthy version of a childhood favorite whenever you are feeling nostalgic or simply have a sweet tooth.
Here are a few more delicious recipes you have to try next!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
You connect with Sasha here!
Latest posts by Sasha Brown (see all)
- 12 Powerful Spices That Will Help Treat 6 Common Health Problems - April 10, 2017
- Prep this dessert in just minutes – honey-cinnamon pears that will melt in your mouth - March 10, 2017
- 10 Simple and Discreet Desk Exercises for Lower Back Pain - February 24, 2017