Everything You Ever Needed To Know About What To Drink Instead Of Cow’s Milk
Dairy milk is the oldest and most popular, but alternatives include almond, rice and coconut milk. A lot of people are switching to dairy-free as well because of its inherent benefits. So let’s find out which one you should be drinking more of.
Dairy vs. Dairy-Free Milk
We’ve all heard that milk is good for your bones, but dairy milk is packed with nutrients like calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamin A, D, and B-12. It has no added sugar, with 12 grams of it coming from naturally-occurring lactose. It’s also loaded with beneficial saturated fats.
The positives for dairy-free milk include lactose intolerant people being able to drink it. Dairy-free is also unpasteurized. Pasteurized milk is when you heat it to a specific temperature for a set time to kill harmful bacteria. The problem is this also kills healthy bacteria known as probiotics.
So while each of these has their positives, they’re also not the only options out there anymore. And the best part is there is an easy way you can make these at home too!
1. Almond Milk
- Good source of vitamins D, E and A
- Tastes very similar to dairy
- Low in calories when unsweetened
- No cholesterol
- Naturally lactose-free
- Sugar from the original and sweetened version is added cane sugar
- Contains almost no protein
- Not a good source of calcium naturally, often brands are supplemented with some
Make your own Organic Homemade Almond Milk with this recipe!
2. Rice Milk
- Good for people with multiple food allergies as it’s the least allergenic milk
- Can be fortified with calcium and vitamin D
- Vegan friendly
- Have more calories than the other milk alternatives (not including whole milk)
- High amount of natural sugar
- Rich in carbohydrates
- Low in protein
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Make your own Rice Milk with this recipe!
3. Coconut Milk
- Low in calories
- High in good saturated fats
- Least amount of calcium compared to other milk
- No protein whatsoever
Make your own Coconut Milk with this recipe!
With such an abundance of options, it can be hard to figure out which is best for you. Each has their own pros and cons, so it comes down to personal taste and whether the good outweighs the bad. Either way, they’re certainly healthier than most drinks out there!
Here are a few more great milk recipes to give a try!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
- How to Clean Stainless Steel Properly - February 22, 2018
- Why Krystal Trammell Left Young Living Essential Oils – The Truth Is Out - February 22, 2018
- Should Unhappy Couples Stay Together For The Kids? - February 21, 2018