Everything You Ever Needed To Know About What To Drink Instead Of Cow’s Milk
Dairy milk is the oldest and most popular, but alternatives include almond, rice and coconut milk. A lot of people are switching to dairy-free as well because of its inherent benefits. So let’s find out which one you should be drinking more of.
Dairy vs. Dairy-Free Milk
We’ve all heard that milk is good for your bones, but dairy milk is packed with nutrients like calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamin A, D, and B-12. It has no added sugar, with 12 grams of it coming from naturally-occurring lactose. It’s also loaded with beneficial saturated fats.
The positives for dairy-free milk include lactose intolerant people being able to drink it. Dairy-free is also unpasteurized. Pasteurized milk is when you heat it to a specific temperature for a set time to kill harmful bacteria. The problem is this also kills healthy bacteria known as probiotics.
So while each of these has their positives, they’re also not the only options out there anymore. And the best part is there is an easy way you can make these at home too!
1. Almond Milk
- Good source of vitamins D, E and A
- Tastes very similar to dairy
- Low in calories when unsweetened
- No cholesterol
- Naturally lactose-free
- Sugar from the original and sweetened version is added cane sugar
- Contains almost no protein
- Not a good source of calcium naturally, often brands are supplemented with some
Make your own Organic Homemade Almond Milk with this recipe!
2. Rice Milk
- Good for people with multiple food allergies as it’s the least allergenic milk
- Can be fortified with calcium and vitamin D
- Vegan friendly
- Have more calories than the other milk alternatives (not including whole milk)
- High amount of natural sugar
- Rich in carbohydrates
- Low in protein
Make your own Rice Milk with this recipe!
3. Coconut Milk
- Low in calories
- High in good saturated fats
- Least amount of calcium compared to other milk
- No protein whatsoever
Make your own Coconut Milk with this recipe!
With such an abundance of options, it can be hard to figure out which is best for you. Each has their own pros and cons, so it comes down to personal taste and whether the good outweighs the bad. Either way, they’re certainly healthier than most drinks out there!
Here are a few more great milk recipes to give a try!
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
- 3-Ingredient Mixture Improves Vision and Liver Detoxification - November 21, 2017
- Playboy’s Crystal Heffner Just Woke Up The World About The Truth Behind Breast Implants - November 20, 2017
- Studies Show That Husbands Stress Women Twice As Much As Children - November 14, 2017
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook