Spicy Crockpot Curry Recipe With Coconut Oil, Ginger and Fat-Burning Cumin Seeds
This article is shared with permission from our friends at paleohacks.com.
Ah, curry. Just the mere mention of that word is enough to get my olfactory senses tingling with eager anticipation!
A close Maharashtrian friend of mine recently introduced me to a curry chicken dish. I decided to take it upon myself to adjust it to my Western palate with my own crockpot curry chicken recipe; the addition of coconut milk definitely helps to even out the spicier elements of the recipe.
This spectacular recipe combines Indian spices with the ever-popular coconut flavors to produce a warm and satisfying curry that is sure to fill your belly and heart with untold Eastern pleasures.
You’ll notice that I’ve included a little chili in this dish, and while you can feel free to omit this if you’re not a fan of hot and spicy foods, I think it really serves to get the taste buds standing to attention. This mild spiciness, combined with the sweetness of the tomato and the rich texture of the coconut milk, is nothing short of amazing.
Crock Pot Curry Chicken
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, minced
- 2-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium fresh green chili, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 3-4 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Take your crockpot and give it a big sloppy kiss because, believe me, it’s about to provide you with a life-changing gastronomic experience!
- Optional: Heat the coconut oil in your crockpot and add the Garam Masala and cumin seeds, gently heating them until they begin to crackle. The idea here is to infuse the oil and gently roast the spices, so have the rest of your ingredients ready to throw in right away.
- Add the tomato puree, coconut milk, ginger, garlic, chili, salt, and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Give your spicy, coconutty mixture a hearty sniff and then throw in the onions, peppers, chicken, and broth.
- Make sure everything is thoroughly mixed together and then cover, ready to cook.
- Now for the most difficult part, time to play the waiting game! Depending on your level of patience you can cook on a high heat for around 4 hours, or if you’re feeling particularly disciplined (yeah, right!) you can place your curry on a low heat and cook for 7 or 8 hours.
- Remove the lid and savor that wondrous, magical smell of the spice-infused coconut goodness! Serve up and you’re good to tuck right in!
I would also recommend making sure you can hold back from eating the whole lot in one sitting because this dish tastes even better the next day, once the ingredients have had the chance to mature a little in the refrigerator.
By Indian standards, this is a fairly basic combination of flavors, but it certainly got a nod of approval from my friend and is sure to put a smile on your face! This recipe, if nothing more, should act as a sound introduction to the richness of Indian cuisine, with a quasi-Thai-Western spin.
Given the vast diversity of curries that are littered throughout India, Pakistan, and the rest of Asia, you’ve got a lot of freedom to experiment with different spice blends and extra ingredients such as spinach and even butter (of the grass-fed variety, naturally).
Once you’ve tasted this Crockpot Curry Chicken recipe, your eyes (and salivary glands) will be wide open, so indulge your experimental side and take your taste buds on a new adventure!
Have you cooked up a crockpot curry before? What are your favorites?
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Paleo Hacks (see all)
- These Avocado Grilled Cauliflower Sandwiches Will Make You Forget Grilled Cheese - March 13, 2018
- 7 Gentle Yoga Moves to Fix Sciatica Pain - March 7, 2018
- 27 Easy Low Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes - January 9, 2018