‘Flax Egg’ the Egg Substitute
Using flaxseeds in place of eggs is a great vegan trick for baking, but you don’t have to be vegan to benefit from this great substitution. Flaxseeds are a nutritional powerhouse and sneaking some into baked goods is an easy way to get some of their wonderful nutrients into your diet. Read on for an easy tip on how to substitute flaxseeds for eggs.
Flaxseeds are rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential fatty acid that appears to be beneficial for heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and a variety of other health conditions. They also contains a group of chemicals called lignans that may play a role in the prevention of cancer.
With all of this goodness, it seems like a great idea to get flaxseeds into one’s diet in any way possible. One great way is to use flaxseeds in place of eggs in baked goods (1).
Flax Seed Egg Substitute
To replace one egg:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (can use chia seeds if preferred)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Always start with fresh seeds. I never buy pre-ground. The fragile oils go rancid quickly.
- Grind seed just before using.
- Leftover gel may be kept refrigerated. Use within 3 days.
- Store whole seed in airtight containers. Chia may be kept in a cool dark place for years. Flax seed is best refrigerated.
Grind flax seed using a coffee grinder or high speed blender into a very fine powder. In a small bowl, add flax meal followed by water (not water followed by flax), stirring as you go.
Refrigerate. This is key! Place the bowl of eggs in the refrigerator for a minimum of 15 minutes, but up to an hour is best. This will allow your egg to “set up”. Don’t skip this important step!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Michelle Toole (see all)
- Massive Flu Outbreak? Here’s the REAL Story the Mainstream Media Won’t Touch - January 25, 2018
- Giant ‘Dead Whale’ Is Haunting Reminder of Massive Plastic Pollution Problem - February 7, 2017
- Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled - January 13, 2017