‘Flax Egg’ the Egg Substitute
Using flaxseeds in place of eggs is a great vegan trick for baking, but you don’t have to be vegan to benefit from this great substitution. Flaxseeds are a nutritional powerhouse and sneaking some into baked goods is an easy way to get some of their wonderful nutrients into your diet. Read on for an easy tip on how to substitute flaxseeds for eggs.
Flaxseeds are rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential fatty acid that appears to be beneficial for heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and a variety of other health conditions. They also contains a group of chemicals called lignans that may play a role in the prevention of cancer.
With all of this goodness, it seems like a great idea to get flaxseeds into one’s diet in any way possible. One great way is to use flaxseeds in place of eggs in baked goods (1).
Flax Seed Egg Substitute
To replace one egg:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (can use chia seeds if preferred)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Always start with fresh seeds. I never buy pre-ground. The fragile oils go rancid quickly.
- Grind seed just before using.
- Leftover gel may be kept refrigerated. Use within 3 days.
- Store whole seed in airtight containers. Chia may be kept in a cool dark place for years. Flax seed is best refrigerated.
Grind flax seed using a coffee grinder or high speed blender into a very fine powder. In a small bowl, add flax meal followed by water (not water followed by flax), stirring as you go.
Refrigerate. This is key! Place the bowl of eggs in the refrigerator for a minimum of 15 minutes, but up to an hour is best. This will allow your egg to “set up”. Don’t skip this important step!
Latest posts by Michelle Toole (see all)
- Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled - January 13, 2017
- Stores Are Pulling Nutella After Report Links It To Cancer - January 1, 2017
- This Is Why You Absolutely Need To Stop Wearing Shoes In Your House - December 27, 2016
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook