Here at Healthy Holistic Living, we search the web for great content to share with you. This article is shared with permission from our friends at FitLife.tv.
The Reflexology Foot Massage That Will Improve Your Life In 13 Different Ways
Written by Joanne Beccarelli
For almost everyone, our feet constantly bear the weight of active lifestyles, but get little attention in return for holding us up, moving us around and grounding us to the earth.
That is now beginning to change since getting a foot massage is one of the new spa treatment trends for relaxation and indulgence.
While self-care is one great reason for a foot massage, in many cultures, foot reflexology is a regular health regimen that is used for the whole body that you should start using too.
The Roots of Reflexology
Massaging the feet to affect health has roots in ancient China and Egypt and was thought to spread during the Roman Empire. But it was not until the last hundred years that there is a record of doctors and therapists becoming interested and when more specific zone and organ mapping was documented. These developments led to the foot reflexology practices we have today.
Foot Reflexology Can Make a Difference For Your Health
By using the elements of reflexology where specific acupressure points on the feet are massaged or pressed, you can improve overall health, treat existing ailments and maintain proper function of your organs.
Here are some of the most common benefits of foot massage and reflexology:
It’s simple enough for anyone to do.
Since a foot massage is relatively easy to do, even this brief knowledge about reflexology will enable you to get started. Included here is a reflexology chart, which you might be interested in reviewing before you start. Also, if you are a visual learner, watching a few Youtube videos may help – Video 1 and video 2.
Basic Foot Reflexology Message Steps
- Wash your feet. This cleans and warms them.
- The best massages use a lubricant to make the massage easier. Adding essential oils provides the benefits of that specific oil. Add 1-2 drops of lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, or tea tree essential oils mixed with your regular skin lotion or a carrier oil such as sweet almond oil or coconut oil.
- Let’s start with your toes. Squeeze, pull and twist each toe one at a time, moving from the joint to the tip and the largest toe to the smallest.
- Using both thumbs, massage the soles of your foot from top to bottom, applying strong pressure for a few seconds to each spot. Concentrate on your aches and pains or use the reflexology chart to guide you.
- Massage heels, ankles, and Achilles areas.
- Don’t forget about the tops of the feet. You have reflexology points there too!
- Repeat these steps for the other foot.
- Experts recommend giving yourself a foot massage every night for the best results.
Go ahead, try it tonight. Give yourself this gift of a little nighttime self-care, then let me know in the comments below how it was, or what changes you start to see and feel. Plus, if you need any help with additional essential oils, simply ask.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Drew Canole is a Nutrition Specialist, Transformation Specialist and national spokesperson for the benefits of juicing vegetables for health and vitality. He is the founder of Fitlife.TV
where he shares "Educational, Inspirational and Entertaining" videos and articles about health, fitness, healing and longevity.
Drew Canole's transformation movement has grown to over 630,000 people, including Celebrities, CEOs, Entrepreneurs, and Development Gurus. He believes first and foremost that a person's health comes from within and through his "Whydentity" process, Drew is able to create healthy and lasting change, both physically and mentally.
Drew has written 3 Amazon Best-Selling Books on the subject of Juicing and Weightloss.
Latest posts by Drew Canole (see all)