The world’s healthiest butter chicken with turmeric, ginger and coconut oil
At Health Holistic Living we search the web for health news and healthy recipes to share with you. This article is shared with permission from our friends at Mercola.com.
By: Pete Evans
The Paleo way of life is not meant to be restrictive, as you can see from this lovely butter chicken recipe. All the nasties have been replaced with good-quality ingredients that make it as good, if not better, than the original. I prefer chicken thighs for their superior flavor and tenderness.
And be adventurous with your vegetable component. Try eggplant, okra, zucchini, asparagus, pumpkin, sweet potato and Asian water spinach. The rice has been replaced with cauliflower “rice, chili” but broccoli “rice” is also a big hit or try a mixture of both.
Did You Know?
- Paleo-style butter chicken contains a wealth of antioxidant-rich spices and healthy fats
- You can change up the flavor by adding vegetables of your choice, including eggplant, zucchini, asparagus and pumpkin
- Serve it alongside healthy cauliflower or broccoli “rice”
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 to 2 pinches of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 400 ml can coconut cream
- 700 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces coriander leaves, to serve
- Cauliflower Rice (see recipe), to serve
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the chopped cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower has reduced into tiny pieces – the same size as grains of rice (or chop by hand with a sharp knife).
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and lightly cook the cauliflower for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve it where you would normally have rice – so much healthier for you and what I love is that it take a quarter of the time to cook!
- You can add chili, other spices, seeds, nuts, herbs, meats, seafood, vegetables, sauces, etc.
Here are a few more recipes for Cauliflower you have to try!
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook