Looking for the Perfect Holiday Meal? Try This Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Topped on pizza, drizzled on nachos and placed on crackers, cheese has become a staple in the American diet. Unfortunately, there are downsides to adding this popular ingredient to your snacks and meals.
Let’s Cut to the Cheese
Though flavorful, consuming cheese – much like consuming any dairy product – can have detrimental effects on our health. Let’s take a look:
- Cheese contributes to large amounts of fat and cholesterol in your diet. If you’re consuming too much fat or cholesterol, it can lead to weight gain, heart disease, as well as some forms of cancer.
- Cheese also contains high amounts of sodium. Too much sodium can increase your risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Cheese is high in calories, thus eating too much can contribute to obesity.
Cashing in on the Cashews
In place of conventional cheese, there are many plant-based, dairy-free alternatives, like cashew cheese. Made from cashews, cashew cheese won’t leave with you the health risks that traditional cheese does. Instead, it will enhance your health in the following ways (via Dr. Mercola) :
- Good source of magnesium. This mineral have been found to reduce the frequency of migraines, improve cognitive ability, and lower blood pressure, which can prevent heart attacks.
- Cashews are also rich in copper, which contain antioxidants that protect the body from free radical damage.
- Together, magnesium and copper contribute to bone health.
- Unlike traditional cheeses, cashews contain zero cholesterol. In addition, the fat content found in cashews is of the healthy kind.
The best part is, making your own cashew cheese is extremely easy. You’ll save money by making large amounts of cheese right in your own home rather than emptying your wallet for a small block of sharp cheddar.
Read next: Why You Should Be Eating More Cashews
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at foodmatters.tv.
Dairy-Free Zucchini Lasagne with Cashew Cheese
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Whether you’re a vegan or not, there is no denying that this meat-free zucchini lasagne is packing some flavor!
Time: 35-45 minutes
For Cashew Cheese…
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
- ½ cup filtered water
For Tomato Layer…
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 5-6 zucchini, thinly sliced or use mandoline
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Prepare cashew cheese in high-speed blender or food processor by adding all ingredients and processing until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare tomato sauce layer in the food processor by adding all ingredients and processing until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180ºC).
- To assemble lasagne, start by creating a layer of zucchini strips on bottom, followed by a layer of halved cherry tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach and cashew cheese.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used, ideally finishing with a layer of cashew cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and zucchini layers are soft.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
- 9 Simple Stretches for Tight Hips and Lower Back Pain - April 20, 2018
- 20 Things People with High Functioning Anxiety Can Relate To - April 20, 2018
- THC Makes Cannabis Ideal for Treating Asthma, Study Shows - April 20, 2018