5 Beauty Products You Can Make from Herbs Growing in Your Garden
Go to any beauty store and you’ll see numerous products containing natural extracts, which help to cleanse, moisturize, tone, anti-age, and condition. While some beauty products sound exotic, others such as Chamomile, Green Tea, Calendula, and Rose, are flowers and plants that can be grown in your garden. The cosmetic industry likes to make a certain mystique about ‘herbal extracts’ but in reality, it is quite easy to grow, process, and make your own cosmetic products using fresh botanical extracts.
5 DIY Beauty Products
The art of making your own beauty products from herbs growing in your garden reaches back at least to the Egyptian time. There is a great amount of self-satisfaction in being able to substitute many store-bought synthetic beauty products with your own homemade versions. Making your own beauty products is the perfect way to look good without spending a lot of money. There are so many combinations of natural ingredients you can use to make your own blends that are ideal for your skin. Plus, homemade beauty products also make great gifts!
So, if you have access to fresh herbs, why not use them for more than just cooking? Here are some amazing ideas how to put them into beauty products:
1. Herbal Facial Scrub
If you have a dry skin that needs a little moisturizing, then this homemade body scrub is the fantastic solution for you!
- 1/3 cup dried herbs (such as lavender, peppermint, calendula, or a mixture of your favorite herbs)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Sugar, clay, or almonds (optional – use alone or in mixture to total one tablespoon)
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth, fine powder. To use, put some of the blends in the palm of your hand.
- Add some water to make a paste.
- You can apply the scrub over your face, avoiding the lips and eyes.
- Massage it gently into the skin with circular motions.
- Wash thoroughly.
- Store your scrub in a jar in a cool and dry location where you can keep it for about 3 months.
About the ingredients:
Some of the most remarkable health benefits of calendula include the ability to protect oral health, speed healing, boost vision, and improve the appearance of the skin.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Peppermint is pleasantly suitable for numerous topical and oral uses and antimicrobial properties. It may be the most versatile essential oil in the world together with lavender. Peppermint essential oil provides a cooling sensation and has a soothing effect on the body and skin.
Oat is a popular ingredient in the cosmetic industry. It has great anti-inflammatory properties and it helps sensitive skin. Oats are good for treating eczema and acne and act like a marvelous natural exfoliator.
Almonds contain a good amount of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that helps in preventing cell damage and also helps in preventing the damage caused by the sun. They are also rich in vitamins and proteins and help hydrate and soften your skin. Clay works both topically and internally to help clarify and detox. Many beauty products contain clay as a star component in order to absorb impurities and aid heal the skin.
Cornmeal is an excellent, gentle exfoliating ingredient that you can use in many beauty recipes. Along with oats, cornmeal can remove dead skin and cleanse your face. Moreover, you should also include corn meal in your diet, because it benefits your health by boosting your iron intake. It’s also a great source of carbohydrates and phosphorus. According to Colorado State University, corn meal doesn’t contain gluten, so it makes for a safe cooking ingredient for people suffering from celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
2. Cucumber and Sage Facial Mask
This mask tightens the skin and draws impurities to the surface while stimulating circulation. It’s an ideal way to nourish and cleanse your skin and give your face a restored and fresh look.
- 2/3 cup sage leaves
- ½ cucumber (peeled and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon (or lime) juice
- 2 egg whites
- Place all ingredients in a blender, then pour into glass jar.
- By using your fingertips, apply the mask to your face (avoiding eyes and lips), leave on for about 10 minutes (maximum).
- In the end, rinse with warm water and apply a thin layer of moisturizer.
(Makes about 4oz. mask mixture)
About the ingredients:
Sage is often used to aid slow down signs of aging like sagging skin and wrinkles. It’s also added to many beauty products like anti-spot and anti-mark creams, which help prevent scars, cracks, and other unwanted skin marks.
The flesh of the cucumber is generally water, but also contains caffeic acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin C), both of which help calm skin irritations and reduce swelling. Cucumber applied topically is often helpful for burns, dermatitis, and swollen eyes.
Lemon, as well as lime juice, are very beneficial for skin when applied topically or consumed orally. Lime has a high amount of Vitamin C and flavonoids that help rejuvenate your skin, reduce body odor, and protect it from infection. When applied topically on your skin, its assists rub out the dead cells, eliminates dandruff, and heals bruises and rashes.
3. Antidandruff Lavender Rinse
Psoriasis or medicated dandruff shampoos that you can find in the stores often include coal tar derivatives. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has deemed these derivatives carcinogenic in several forms. A great alternative is offered in this marvelous blend.
- ½ cup rosemary (fresh or dried)
- ½ cup peppermint (fresh or dried)
- ¼ cup lavender (fresh or dried)
- 4 cups spring or distilled water
- 12 drops tea tree essential oil
- 1 teaspoon borax
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the ingredients.
- Stir and cover. Turn off the heat. Steep for about 3 ½ hours. Next, strain and bottle the fluid. In the end, add the essential oil and borax.
- Label and use within 12 months if you have used dried herbs. Or 10 days in case you have used fresh ones.
About the ingredients:
Rosemary contains phytonutrients, calcium, and iron. The nutrients of rosemary could help protect skin cells from damage caused by the free radicals and sun. Since this aromatic herb has natural antiseptic properties, it is a superior disinfectant for our hair and skin. Actually, this essential oil is known to reverse premature graying and promote a healthy and moisturized scalp.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is well-known for treating many skin infections, such as scabies, fungal infections of the nail (onychomycosis), lice, acne, ringworm, and Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis).
Lavender essential oil
Lavender Essential Oil has an ability to reduce stress, tension, disinfect the scalp of the skin, ease pain, treat, respiratory problems, and enhance blood circulation.
4. Rosemary Fruit Face Mask
This face mask is ideal for all types of skin. It’s a full of vitamins and minerals that will help eliminate many skin problems on your face and improve its appearance.
- 2 strawberries, sliced (you can use fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup chopped apple
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 drop rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- ½ tablespoon oat flour
- Place the strawberries, yogurt, apple, and honey in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Then, add the essential oils and the oat flour to create a spreadable mask.
- Cleanse your neck and face with lukewarm water, and then apply the mask on your neck and face.
- Relax for about 15-20 minutes. In the end, rinse the mask with warm water.
About the ingredients:
Rosemary and lavender essential oils also stimulate the rejuvenation of cell. Strawberries, yogurt, and apples that are rich in natural alpha-hydroxy acids. I personally suggest you use green apples because they have incredible health benefits, especially for the skin.
5. Skin Toner: Queen of Hungary’s Water
Queen of Hungary’s Water is a classic skin toner balances pH, tightens pores, and recovers skin tone. This herb-infused vinegar provides myriad cosmetic benefits and is remarkably easy to prepare.
Note: The ingredients and proportions used in this skin toner may vary according to what you have on hand.
- Dried comfrey
- Dried calendula
- Dried chamomile
- Dried elderflower
- Dried rosemary
- Dried rose petals
- Dried sage
- Dried lemon peel
- Dried lemon balm
- Place the ingredients in a jar and cover them entirely with apple cider vinegar.
- Let them soak in it for at least two weeks.
- Then, strain and add a ½ cup of rose water (available from health food stores, natural grocers) to each cup of herb-infused vinegar.
- Store Queen of Hungary’s Water in the fridge for up to 10 days. Use every night before going to bed.
About the ingredients:
Herbal therapy for treating skin problems has been used for thousands of years. All of the above-mentioned herbs for making Queen of Hungary’s Water have been traditionally used for skin cleansing and skin rejuvenation.
Even though some women may shy away from using vinegar as an ingredient for skin care, herb-infused vinegar has been valued cosmetics for centuries. Actually, few ingredients are as effective at balancing the pH of your skin. The smell of the vinegar dissipates quickly and doesn’t linger on the skin.
Some homemade herbal beauty products carry the possibility of creating an allergic reaction in certain people. Therefore, before using any of the above stated homemade herbal cosmetic products, you should test by placing a dab on the forearm, cover with a little bandage, and leave in place for about 24 hours in order to determine the possible allergic reaction.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Victoria’s nutrition philosophy is one that looks at the complete person, and her motto is:
“You are what you eat – so, don’t be fast, cheap, easy, or fake!”
Latest posts by Victoria Vito (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Never Put Another Ritz Cracker In Your Mouth - February 17, 2017
- 40 ways to burn belly fat without leaving your house - January 30, 2017
- Love caramel apples? You need to try this version made with coconut and raw honey - November 7, 2016