Homemade Cough Drops
Homemade Cough Drops – Feeling sick? These natural homemade cough drops are my go-to when I’m fighting a cold. Made with natural ingredients like raw honey which is known to help suppress coughing and immune boosting coconut oil you can’t go wrong with this natural alternative!
Our family has been down with a cold for the last week. It started with my 5-year old who was only sick for 3 days. Once she was better our 2-year-old came down with it and soon after my 1 one year old, husband and I were sniffling and coughing. I usually make my homemade cough syrup when we get sick but it just wasn’t cutting it this time. I didn’t have the patience to melt it every time we needed it so I decided to make a batch of cough drops instead. I stored these in the refrigerator and we just popped them out when we needed a cough drop.
About The Ingredients
Raw Honey – Known to naturally suppress coughing and help with sleeping due to respiratory infections (source). In clinical studies, honey has shown to be just as effective in alleviating coughs as over the counter cough medicine. Honey is also known to help reduce allergies. According to this article, taking a few teaspoons of local raw honey a day prior to pollen season can be effective in boosting your immunity to pollen!
Coconut Oil – This healthy fat is rich in antioxidants and contains lauric acid, which is antibacterial and antiviral. Coconut oil can be used to help prevent colds by boosting the immune system. Once the cold is set in, coconut oil can help reduce the length of sickness and can be quite soothing when added to warm honey-lemon water or tea.
Cinnamon – Cinnamon has been used in folklore and traditional medicine to help reduce cold and flu symptoms.
Thieves Essential Oil – Add 1-2 drops of Thieves Essential Oil in place of cinnamon.
Homemade Cough Drops
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/2 cup raw local honey
- Optional: 1-2 drops of Thieves Essential Oil or 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
1. Scoop coconut oil into a mixer bowl and beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it’s whipped.
2. Add the honey and continue to whip until the honey and oil are mixed.
3. Add cinnamon if using.
4. Pour mixture into small ice cube trays (like this one).
5. Freeze the coconut cough drops until they’re hard, about 20 minutes.
6. Pop the cough drops out of the ice cube tray and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Article originally posted on TheCoconutMama.com republished with permission
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Michelle Toole (see all)
- Massive Flu Outbreak? Here’s the REAL Story the Mainstream Media Won’t Touch - January 25, 2018
- Giant ‘Dead Whale’ Is Haunting Reminder of Massive Plastic Pollution Problem - February 7, 2017
- Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled - January 13, 2017