Lentil Kidney Bean Chili with Garlic, Apple Cider Vinegar and Cumin
Health Benefits of Kidney Beans:
- Kidney beans are high in fiber which keeps you full and satisfied, helping you lose or maintain weight. Moreover, this insoluble fiber helps those with constipation and IBS as it promotes a healthy digestion.
- Eating high-fiber foods like kidney beans protects you from heart disease, but their fiber content is not the only thing that makes them stand out.
- Kidney beans also contain magnesium and folate, which are responsible for keep your heart strong. Moreover, magnesium improves our blood flow and oxygen levels. This directly affects our veins and arteries as this nutrient helps keep them strong and healthy and in turn decreases our risk of heart attacks.
- Thiamin (Vitamin B1), also found in kidney beans, is beneficial for energy production, keeping us awake, alert and functioning all day. This enzyme can also aid our cell and cognitive functions. This can help slow and even prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- Kidney beans are also extremely beneficial to those with diabetes. This is because these beans can lower cholesterol and their high fiber content helps lower blood sugar levels.
Eating kidney beans lowers your risk of heart attacks and even helps reverse diabetes. Legumes are nutrient-filled powerhouses that keep you full, help you lose weight and prevent the development of many diseases and disorders. This recipe is one delicious way to start adding them to you diet!
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at kneadtocook.com.
Lentil and Bean Chili. V. GF.
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- Olive oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion diced or I used 6 spring onions diced
- 1 bell pepper – I used red, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- 1 jalapeno, (seeds removed if you don’t like it spicy or left in tact if you like heat)
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 -28 oz. cans of chopped tomatoes (I prefer the organic fire roasted)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of lentils (I used green)
- 1 – 15 oz can of dark red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- Sliced red onion or spring onions
- Tortilla strips or chips
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add a few drizzles of olive oil and let that heat up over a medium flame. Add the onion and bell pepper.
- Cook for about 8 minutes then add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Add the jalapeño, salt, chili powder, smoked paprika, tomatoes and water.
- Bring that to a boil and add the lentils.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes until the lentils cook through. If you use orange or red lentils – they tend to cook faster. The green take a bit longer.
- Add your beans and apple cider vinegar and give that a good stir. Taste the chili and adjust seasonings.
- Simmer over a low flame for hours if you can or at least another 20 minutes, if you’re in a rush.
- Serve. You can serve over rice or quinoa. Top with whatever you prefer and enjoy!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!