Mosquito’s have always been a pest, but what is even more alarming is the amount of potentially deadly diseases they carry. From malaria to West Nile, and now the Zika virus. With all these dangers around us, big companies have taken advantage and started to heavily push their mosquito repellents, and people are buying them greedily.
Super Effective, Chemical-Free Natural Mosquito Repellent (plus ways to mosquito-proof your home!)
They might not be so quick to buy them if they knew what was in it. I’ve heard of fighting fire with fire, but using products laden with chemicals that can cause a disease to fight disease-carrying animals just seems backward to me. Luckily, I’m here with a solution.
Natural Mosquito Repellent
Conventional mosquito repellents contain harmful chemicals, most famous (or infamous) is DEET, which has been banned due to how dangerous it is for you. But you won’t find any of those harmful chemicals in this natural mosquito repellent.
- 2 tablespoons of witch hazel
- 2 tablespoons of neem oil (which has natural insecticidal compounds)
- ½ teaspoon of vodka, as a preservative
- 55 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil (a natural alternative to DEET, however, it should not be used on children under the age of 3)
- 15 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 15 drops of lavender oil
- 15 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Add the carrier liquids to a small spray bottle – make sure it’s big enough that there is room for shaking the liquid.
- Add the essential oils. Make sure to shake well before you use it.
- You’ll need to reapply the repellent every few hours for it to be most effective.
8 Tips To Mosquito-Proof Your Home
Here are some easy – and natural – way to mosquito-proof your home and keep these pesky bugs away from your family.
1. Examine exterior doors and windows to make sure there is no gaps or broken seals where the mosquitos can get in. Door sweeps are a good way of making sure mosquitos don’t just walk into your home.
2. You can plant Thai lemon grass inside your house – especially near windows. They contain citronella oil, which is very effective at repelling mosquitos. You can also plant marigolds in your garden, as the smell also repels these pests.
3. Always check your clothing, bags, etc. when entering your house. Mosquitos like to cling to anything they can and can follow you indoors this way.
4. Keep your food securely covered. Mosquitos are attracted to high sugar foods, so make sure your grapes, bananas, peeled fruits, etc are in a place that they can’t reach. Make sure your compost is covered as well, as they can be attracted to the peels.
5. Avoid sweet-smelling air fresheners – they attract mosquitos and are filled with toxic chemicals. Use essential oils to freshen up your home.
6. If you have a pet, make sure to keep their food and drink bowls clean as they can attract mosquitos.
7. Make sure that there is no standing water in or around your home. Standing water is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitos as they like to lay their eggs in their – and when they lay eggs, they lay a lot!
8. Use a bug zapper. You can keep these in your yard or near areas with a lot of traffic. Mosquitos and other pests are attracted to the light and fly straight for it – avoiding everything else including us. Since it uses electricity, this a cheap and chemical free way of getting rid of these pests.
By using these tips, you can ensure that your home and family are safe from any potentially harmful mosquitos. Make sure to take your homemade repellent when traveling to ensure you’re always safe. Enjoy!
Here are some more ways to avoid those pesky mosquitos!
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Healthy Holistic Living brings you alternative health news from all over the web. These articles are sourced and shared with permission so you get all the news that's fit to keep you in good physical and mental health. Stay happy, stay hungry, and stay on Healthy Holistic Living.
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)