How to mix essential oils with baking soda or ACV to never have bad breath again
A recent UK research study in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine found some mouthwashes could raise the blood pressure by wiping out a kind of “good “mouth bacteria, which helps our bodies generate nitric oxide that is known to play a critical role in protecting the cardiovascular system and keeping blood pressure down.
What Ingredients Are Regularly Found In Commercial Mouthwash?
Main ingredients include alcohol, water, cleansing agents, coloring agents, and flavoring ingredients. Though active ingredients may vary depending on the brand of mouth rinse, they can be placed into 4 typical groups:
- Fluoride is thought by some to reduce tooth decay and make teeth more resistant to decay. However, the health risks for exposure to this chemical are very problematic.
- Antimicrobial agents act straight on oral bacteria in order to help reduce plaque, control bad breath, and decrease the severity of gingivitis.
- Astringent salts could serve as brief deodorizers that cover bad breath.
- Odor neutralizer acts by chemically disabling odor causing compounds.
However, scientists warn using mouthwash more than 2 times a day could give you cancer. This news comes from a European research study, which examined the dental hygiene and oral health of people diagnosed with cancer of the throat, mouth, vocal chords or esophagus (communally known as “upper aerodigestive cancers”).
The scientists found that individuals with the poorest oral health (including bleeding gums and wearing dentures) had a more than doubled risk of these forms of cancer compared those with better oral health.
Correspondingly, they found that people with the poorest dental care (including visiting the dentist and frequency of tooth brushing) had a more than double risk compared with those with better dental care.
Notably, these relations remained after adjustment for alcohol and smoking consumption – proven risk factors for these forms of cancer – and for some other factors, which may influence risk, as socioeconomic status.
However, the connection between mouthwash and oral cancer is still unclear. The association was only substantial when looking at really frequent use (3 times per day).
So, meanwhile, if you are concerned, there are many alcohol-free mouthwash brands available – but the best thing you can do is make your own homemade mouthwash that will be 100% safe for your health.
3 Mouthwash Recipes
There are many natural foods that are antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, and can be used in a mouthwash, including basil, ginger, coconut oil, oregano, rosemary, spearmint, sage, and eucalyptus. Here are 3 antibacterial, natural mouthwash recipes that can help reduce inflammation and prevent gingivitis:
1. Baking Soda and Essential Oils Mouthwash
The great detoxifying properties of Neem reduces plaque, combat periodontal diseases like infected swollen gums (gingivitis) etc., which may result in other oral health problems like ulcers, sore gums, bleeding gums, etc. When baking soda dissolves in water, it gains exceptional alkaline properties, which makes it great for sensitive teeth.
Thyme oil comprises 20-54% of thymol, which an antiseptic agent – the main ingredient of Listerine mouthwash. This specific mouthwash (containing peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and baking soda) makes a fantastic remedy for dry mouth.
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- ½ cup of warm water
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1-2 drops of tea tree oil
- 1-2 drops of thyme essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of Neem oil
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (natural sweetener)
- Add all the ingredients in the warm water and mix thoroughly. Your mouthwash is ready to use!
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Vanilla Essential Oil Mouthwash
Apple cider vinegar in conjunction with saline water (or baking soda) actually helps to remove stains and whiten the teeth.
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 drops of vanilla essential oil (antioxidant)
- Add the salt in the water and mix well to create salt (saline) water.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients and mix once again.
- You are done! Store in a jar. Rinse your mouth with this solution, whenever you need.
Tip: Saline water (salt mixed with water) is ideal for people receiving chemotherapy.
3. Cinnamon and Clove Oils Mouthwash
Suffering from morning bad breath even after you brush your teeth? This mouthwash is perfect for you! The clove oil not only freshens the breath but also helps fight cavities. Cinnamon has been often used in toothpaste. According to experts at the University of Illinois at Chicago, cinnamon-flavored chewing gum can eliminate bacteria in the mouth. The gum contains a powerful compound (cinnamic aldehyde) responsible for the color and flavor of the cinnamon – a plant essential oil that prevents the development of cavity-causing bacteria.
- 1 cup distilled water
- 10-15 drops clove oil
- 10-15 drops cinnamon oil
- Add the clove oil and cinnamon oil in the distilled water. Mix well. You are done!
- Since the shelf life of this mouth rinse is long – you can store it in a bottle and use it for an indefinite period of time.
- Enjoy your breath and healthy mouth!
Victoria’s nutrition philosophy is one that looks at the complete person, and her motto is:
“You are what you eat – so, don’t be fast, cheap, easy, or fake!”
Latest posts by Victoria Vito (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Never Put Another Ritz Cracker In Your Mouth - February 17, 2017
- 40 ways to burn belly fat without leaving your house - January 30, 2017
- Love caramel apples? You need to try this version made with coconut and raw honey - November 7, 2016
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook