The Perfect Healthy Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkins are not just meant to be placed on your porch during the month of October or consumed in a pie at Thanksgiving dinner. This orange plant should be eaten regularly as it is packed with essential vitamins and other nutrients.
By consuming just one cup of pumpkin, you’re able to obtain the following:
- 100% of your daily dose of vitamin A
- 20% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C
- At least 10% of your daily needs for vitamin E riboflavin, potassium, copper and manganese
- 5% or more for thiamin, B-6, iron, magnesium and phosporus
What is it good for?
Because of its nutritional value, pumpkins provide you with an array of health benefits. Its vitamin A content alone contributes to your immune system, vision and skin health. The nutrient found in many lotions and creams has been proven to smooth rough areas of our skin, fade brown spots and reduce wrinkles. Vitamin A also plays an essential role in healthy bone growth and reproduction.
As a rich source of beta-carotene – which your body converts to vitamin A – pumpkins are also powerful in protecting you against cancer.
Here’s a healthier pumpkin pie to try this holiday season! All green-light ingredients and no added sugars– we use dates to make it naturally sweet!
1.5 cups oats
3/4 cup pepitas, walnuts, or almonds*
1/2 cup dates, pitted
2 Tablespoons- 1/4 cup water, or more as needed
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
1/4 cup pepitas or cashews*
1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. In a food processor or heavy duty blender, combine the oats and nuts/ seeds of choice. Pulse until fine like a flour texture. Add in the dates and 2 tablespoons of water. Continue to pulse, adding an additional 1-2 tablespoons of water as needed to help the mixture stick. Continue to pulse until a thick dough texture.
2. In a 9-12 inch pie pan, spread out the crust using clean fingers or the back of a spoon. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
3. In a blender, combine the pumpkin, nuts/ seeds, dates, flax, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Blend until smooth. (Note: if your blender is not overly strong, you may want to soak the nuts or seeds in warm water for ~30 minutes).
4. Spread the pie filling on top of the crust. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Once finished, allow the pie to cool and enjoy!
Store leftover pie in the fridge or freezer.
Serves 8-10 people
*use pepitas for a nut-free pie.
To make a cashew whipped cream, blend 1/2-1 cup of cashews with 1/4-1/2 cup water. Avoid adding too much water, but just enough to make it smooth. You don’t want any lumps! Store the cashew cream in the fridge overnight to let it thicken. If it does not thicken enough, stir in a small amount of ground flaxseed. Let it set a little longer. Then using a frosting tube and tips, put the cashew cream in the tube and top onto the pie!
Recipe and picture from Kristina DeMuth, MPH, RD, LD
Article shared and published on NutritionFacts.org
Latest posts by Nutrition Facts (see all)
- 90% of People Who Die From This Preventable Disease Never Even Knew They Had It - September 20, 2017
- Why Plant-Based Diets Are The Nutritional Equivalent of Quitting Smoking - September 19, 2017
- Exposed: Roughly Half of Antidepressants Are No More Effective Than Placebos - December 11, 2016
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook