by Erin Cash
What Predators Look For When You Post Photos of Your Children
Posting seemingly innocent photos of your child or teen has a sinister outcome that you may never have considered.
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE CONTAINS ADULT CONCEPTS AND EMOTIONAL TRIGGERS
Your child or teen could be a poster child for a pedophile ring – and you may never know.
Australia made world news in 2016 with a website trading explicit photos of local school girls. The site even had pages dedicated to local Brisbane and Gold Coast high schools and fan pages – offering money to men who could find more explicit photos of their favourites.
Attempts to close down the site have been thwarted in a brazen disregard of the law. And these girls, whose images have been used without consent, could be to this day, oblivious.
Police CANNOT ALWAYS LOCATE YOU if photos of your children have been found to be used in connection with pedophile rings. Due to the ability to mask IP addresses and identities with overseas servers and false identities it is not always possible to link an identity to these photos. There are even sites dedicated to teaching online predators how to cover their tracks.
A photo of your child could be part of a pedophilia ring that has been uncovered by Police, and you wont even know about it.
The Task Force I worked for busts pedophile rings – and makes arrests of pedophiles in our neighbourhood. This article is an insight into what they do, and how close to your home they come to arrest offenders.
A pedophile or predator will not play fair, nor think like the average person. They therefore look at images and their erotic ‘potential’ differently to how the average population does.
Here are some things that pedophiles may find attractive when looking at photos on social media:
- The obvious stuff – like children in bathers, underwear, having a bath, or in a state of undress. Even well placed emoticons covering your child’s genitals can be photoshopped off and genitals photoshopped back on to increase the ‘value’ of the photo. You can take me to South Bank beach at Brisbane on any given day and I will be able to point out lone males taking photos of children…. your children. And yes – Police do patrol this and regularly confiscate cameras and phones. I have seen it happen meters away from parents and they are completely and utterly oblivious. The Police do not have to approach the parents, because it is not an element of the offence to have a complainant. Importantly, there is rarely time in these situations to locate and talk to the parents about what has just happened – Police are too busy dealing with the offender.
- The less obvious stuff that predators find irresistible: like photos that they can alter to make your child or teen look they are part of a sexual act. These photos can be altered to have a male person in the photo in a state of arousal. Or they can simply overlay a lewd comment so that the photo becomes a pedophile photo ‘meme’.
- Children of social media celebrities. The more photos posted, and the more coverage the images gain, the more likely they are to come to the attention to pedophile groups and be subjected to their monstrous conversations and attentions. Similar to a teenage crush of a pop star, these photos become a platform for imaginings, fantasies and lewd behaviours. The internet has now allowed predators to openly discuss their fetishes, and because they have the support of their monstrous tribe, they now have a place to ‘normalise’ and ‘strategise’ dysfunctional thoughts and fantasies.
Things to consider when posting photos of your children:
- Is there enough room to ‘superimpose’ another figure into the image?*
- Are they in a state of undress (even with emoticons placed modestly – these can be removed and body parts can be photo shopped in).
- Do you have a public social media page? Pedophiles can develop ‘child crushes’ and the child does not have to be posed or in a state of undress for the photo to become a commodity.
* I used to pray that when I saw a photo of a baby in a nappy and a sexually aroused man in the image that the image was ‘superimposed’. I didn’t always receive this comfort from the government classifier or the photographic specialists. This is is the horrific reality of child sex crimes and trafficking in the 21st century. There is one photo in particular that I remember which causes me pain daily – a 6 month old in just a nappy with the most beautiful angelic smile laying on a bed – and a naked man entering the babies bedroom. This child looked like my babies – your babies. And the horror that I could not reach through that screen and save that child scratches at my brain.
Things to be considered with your teens social media images:
- Duck faces and posed photos are used as baseline trading images on predator sites.
- Swimwear and underwear shots become more valuable.
- If their account is public then the predator ‘ring’ can approach friends (or enemies) of the teen and pay money for more explicit photos.
It has taken over a decade for me to write this post because I know that I will have re-visted images and situations from my career that haunt me. There was a time when I would physical hit my head and moan to stop the memories – but I hope that I have now developed better coping strategies. I now have a practice of offering it ‘up’, or surrender. I take the time to do a short meditation where I hand the image and the horror over. This then allows me to focus on the present. If it re-surfaces I repeat… repeat, repeat repeat – just like my rules of self defence. Because to submit is not an option for me – or my children.
If you have been affected by this article please make an appointment with your GP.
Or ring lifeline. Or the sexual assault helpline.
Here are some things you may need to know when reporting sexual abuse.
This post originally appeared on sweatdepot.blogspot.com and was republished with permission from the author via nutritionallywealthy.com
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Healthy Holistic Living brings you alternative health news from all over the web. These articles are sourced and shared with permission so you get all the news that's fit to keep you in good physical and mental health. Stay happy, stay hungry, and stay on Healthy Holistic Living.
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)