A Science-Based Strategy For Preventing Dementia and 13 Foods That Will Help You Along The Way
Your body is an intricate system of connections and working parts that all have a sensitive relationship. When these parts are out of balance, it can lead to health issues may not have realized were connected. That’s the case between diabetes, depression, and dementia.
The Link Between Diabetes, Depression, and Dementia
A joint study between the University of Washington (US), Aarhaus University, and the University of Copenhagen (Denmark) investigated the link between these three afflictions. While their research proved that diabetes and depression individually risk the future cance of dementia, they gave us the first solid numbers of what the combination does.
As people age, they are more likely to develop both diabetes and depression, but this study found numbers for people who are younger than the average age when dementia rears its ugly head.
Diabetes and Depression
When diabetes and depression occur together, as they often do, they increase the chance of dementia – both vascular and Alzheimer’s – especially in those younger than 65. Individuals who only suffer from diabetes only have a 20% chance of developing dementia, while those who suffer from depression had an 80% higher risk of future dementia.
But one of the most shocking facts is that those who suffer from both diabetes and depression have a 117% chance of developing dementia. It’s even worse for those individuals under that age of 65. People younger than 65 who have both diabetes and depression have a 384% increased risk of future dementia, within 7 years!
3 Key Strategies To Help Prevent Dementia
This study has raised the question, “Why do diabetes and depression, both together and individually, increase your risk of dementia?” While the answer to this question is mostly unknown, it is most likely due to chronic systemic inflammation and oxidative stress. It is for these reasons that recommended strategies for preventing dementia involve:
- Naturally reducing inflammation by eating certain foods that contain curcumin, antioxidants, probiotics, or fish oils etc.
- Repair the damage caused by chronic inflammation and oxidative stress through neurotransmitter support, adrenal resuscitation, or healing your leaky gut.
- Identify and eradicate the sources of inflammation by managing stress, smooth relationships, dietary and lifestyle modification, eliminating environmental toxins, treating occult infections, etc.
How to Reduce Anxiety with Stress Relieving Food
Stress is common in many people’s lives. It can be a motivating factor to work quicker, be proactive, and other positive outcomes. But most people suffer from an unhealthy level of stress which can lead to chronic inflammation. Here is a list of foods you should eat to help your body de-stress, heal itself, and prevent future dementia.
- Asparagus: high in folate and super easy to prepare and incorporate into meals.
- Avocados: contain glutathione, which blocks the absorption of fats that cause oxidative stress.
- Berries: full of antioxidants and all very delicious!
- Cashews: a great source of zinc, whose deficiency has been linked to anxiety and depression.
- Chamomile Tea: used by many different cultures and known worldwide to be calming.
- Chocolate: one of our favorite sources of antioxidants, but stick to the dark kind and don’t over do it!
- Garlic: packed full of antioxidants to bolster an immune system that can be weakened by stress.
- Grass-Fed Organic Beef: not only is it better for the environment and animal, it’s full of antioxidants for you if you eat meat.
- Green Tea: the absolute best drink for antioxidants, and a ton of other great health benefits.
- Organic Steel-Cut Oats: this complex carbohydrate triggers the production of serotonin, the feel good chemical in your brain.
- Oranges: another immunity booster, this tasty fruit is a vitamin C powerhouse.
- Oysters: just 6 oysters is all you need to get 50% of your daily recommended amount of zinc!
- Walnuts: this tasty nut contains contains omega-3 fatty acids that have been shown to reverse some signs of brain aging.
Dementia and Alzheimer’s don’t have to be in your future! With the right foods and preventative measures, you can protect yourself from this horrible disease.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and is for information only. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions about your medical condition and/or current medication. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking advice or treatment because of something you have read here.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!