These Pumpkin Pie Bars With Coconut Buttercream Frosting Will Melt In Your Mouth
This article is republished with permission from our friends at Paleo Hacks.
Nothing beats a slice of homemade pumpkin pie. Whether you enjoy it warm or chilled, it has a satisfying, silky texture with a slightly crisp crust. This recipe takes everything you love about pumpkin pie and turns it into a sheet pan-style bar that serves a crowd. Better still, this Paleo version is packed with only the most pure and high quality ingredients.
Every great dessert bar starts with a crispy crust to hold the filling. This grain-free crust is made with almond meal and tapioca starch combined with melted coconut oil and pure maple syrup. A sprinkle of cinnamon adds a kick of spice. Instead of baking the crust before layering on the pumpkin filling, this crust is baked after the filling is added.
Although many recipes suggest baking the crust for a short time before added the filling and baking, I find that the crust ends up getting too dark that way. I also noticed that cooking the crust and filling together helps the filling adhere better to the crust, and it becomes a more solid bar.
For the filling, pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon are beaten together with eggs, grass-fed butter and raw honey. Once combined and smooth, the topping is poured into the crust and baked for 35-40 minutes. Let your pumpkin bars cool completely, at least 1 hour after baking. This time is necessary for the bars to really set and will make them much easier to cut.
Once sliced, each bar gets a dollop of rich coconut buttercream frosting. Be sure to use the thick type of raw honey, as this helps the frosting hold up. A little bit of tapioca starch is added to the frosting to give it that powdered sugar feel.
Pumpkin Bars With Coconut Buttercream Icing
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Ingredients For the Crust:
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Filling:
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup raw honey at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Coconut Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter
- 3 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees and line a 9×13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine ingredients for crust in a mixing bowl. Stir to moisten. Pour into lined pan and press evenly to edges of pan. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine ingredients for filling. Beat using a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour filling over crust and smooth evenly with a spatula. Bake on center rack for 35-40 minutes.
- For the coconut frosting, combine coconut cream, raw honey, tapioca starch and butter in a mixing bowl. Use hand mixer to beat on high speed until thick and smooth. Pour into a pastry piping bag and refrigerate to set frosting.
- Once bars are cooled, slice and pipe frosting onto bars. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Paleo Hacks (see all)
- These Avocado Grilled Cauliflower Sandwiches Will Make You Forget Grilled Cheese - March 13, 2018
- 7 Gentle Yoga Moves to Fix Sciatica Pain - March 7, 2018
- 27 Easy Low Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes - January 9, 2018