What Happens to Your Body When You Quit Smoking?
You know smoking isn’t healthy, but do you know what happens to your body when you quit? It gets better — top to bottom, lungs to legs.
1. Healing begins
20 minutes after your last smoke, your blood pressure and pulse drop to normal (2).
2. Return to Normal
After 8 hours, the level of carbon monoxide in your blood drops to normal, and the oxygen level rises to normal (2).
3. No More Heart Attacks
After 24 hours, your chances of a heart attack decrease (2).
4. Regain Your Senses
At the 48-hour mark, your senses of smell and taste are enhanced, and your nerve endings start regrowing (2).
5. Get Your Legs Back
Between 2 weeks and 3 months, walking becomes easier, your circulation improves and your lung function increases up to 30 percent.
6. Live and Breathe
At 1 to 9 months, your body’s overall energy increases. Coughing, sinus congestion and shortness of breath decrease. Cilia regrow in the lungs to help clean them and reduce the chance of infections (2).
7. Save Your Heart
At 1 year, your excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker’s (2).
8. Lower Your Risk
After 5 years, your risk of mouth, throat and esophageal cancer is half that of a smoker’s. Stroke risk is the same as a nonsmoker’s, and the lung cancer death rate is almost half that of average smokers (one pack a day) (2).
9. Breathe Easier
After 10 years, the lung cancer death rate is comparable to a nonsmoker’s. Precancerous cells are replaced, and the risk of mouth, throat, esophageal, bladder, kidney and pancreatic cancer decreases (2).
10. Turn Back the Clock
Congratulations. After 15 years post-quitting, your risk of heart disease is the same as a nonsmoker’s (2).
- Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic. (2017). What Happens to Your Body When You Quit Smoking? (Infographic). [online] Available at: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/11/happens-body-quit-smoking-infographic/ [Accessed 6 Nov. 2017].
- Canada.ca. (2016). Benefits of quitting smoking – Canada.ca. [online] Available at: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/smoking-tobacco/quit-smoking/quit-smoking-now/benefits-quitting.html [Accessed 6 Nov. 2017].
Latest posts by Michelle Toole (see all)
- Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled - January 13, 2017
- Stores Are Pulling Nutella After Report Links It To Cancer - January 1, 2017
- This Is Why You Absolutely Need To Stop Wearing Shoes In Your House - December 27, 2016
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook