12 mind blowing things that happen inside your body when you eat beets
Article republished with permission from LivingTraditionally.com.
Beets are unique healing vegetables. Their nutritional value is kept both raw and cooked. In ancient times, Hippocrates viewed beets as a medicinal plant. Throughout centuries beets were used to treat many diseases. Beets have been used in the treatment of blood disorders such as iron deficiency – anemia.
Beets contain a lot of iron, of all plant products iron content of the beets is the second to garlic. And the iodine content of the beets is the second to Kale. Beets not only provide your body with important nutrients and stimulate your metabolism but also saturate the body with powerful antioxidants that are prevalent in red beets.
12 Reasons Why You Should Include Beets In Your Diet
- Beets contain polyphenols and betalains11 which reverse the effect of free radical damage and oxidative stress in people.7
- Beets contain various vitamins: B complex vitamins, PP which strengthen capillary walls.5
- Beets contain a lot of minerals – potassium and folate, which aid in healthy heart; magnesium, which aids in bone health6; iron and phosphorus which produce energy; copper, which destroys free radicals; iodine which is involved in the biosynthesis of thyroid hormones, and magnesium.5
- Beets contain cobalt which promotes the formation of vitamin B12 (which is synthesized by intestinal microflora. Without this vitamin and folic acid, the formation of red blood cells would be impossible.8
- Beets rejuvenate our bodies due to folic acid, which contributes to the creation of new cells.9
- Beets remove toxins from our bodies due to betalain pigments.10
- Beets contain betacyanins, which inhibits the growth of cancer cells.10
- Beets improve digestion due to the dietary fiber.5
- Beets stimulate metabolism.4
- Beets help digest Vitamin D in our bodies.11
- Beets help prevent dementia due to the high concentration of nitrates which transformed in the mouth into nitrites. Researched have shown that nitrites open up the blood vessels in the body which increase blood flow and helps oxygen to get to oxygen lacking areas.4
- Beets contain pectin which is in greater numbers than in carrots or apples. Pectin deals with excretion of radioactive and heavy metals from the body. Also, pectin also inhibits the spread of harmful intestinal bacteria and prevents the development of a whole range of diseases.12
As you can see beets possess a plethora of medicinal and healing properties which also include lowering the amount of cholesterol3, blood pressure1, strengthening capillary vessels, providing anti-sclerotic effect and improving brain and liver function, and help improve fat metabolism.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Living Traditionally is a website dedicated to healthy living, nutrition and real food. It provides you with tips and information on how to take care of your body using natural remedies.
Latest posts by Living Traditionally (see all)