Coconut-Infused Sweet Potato Bites with a Cayenne Kick (Full Recipe)
This article is shared with permission from our friends at paleohacks.com.
What do you do with leftover sweet potatoes? You transform them into melt-in-your-mouth, crispy sweet potato balls!
These Loaded Mashed Sweet Potato Balls with bacon, coconut and almond make a tasty side, appetizer or anytime snack!
One of the reasons I love leftovers is so I can transform them into new recipes like these Loaded Sweet Potato Balls. Take a few leftover sweet potatoes, blend them up with a few extra ingredients, and roll them into yummy bite-sized balls.
Talk About Something Sweet
Sweet potatoes don’t just taste good, they are extremely good for you, too. The health benefits of sweet potatoes are endless. Check them out:
- Consuming sweet potato decreases your risk of developing obesity, diabetes and heart disease
- Lowers blood pressure
- Protects against prostate and colon cancers
- High in fiber, which aids with digestion and prevents constipation
- Vitamin C content boosts immunity
- Reduces chronic inflammation
- Contributes to eye health
For this recipe, I blended pre-baked sweet potatoes with bacon and coconut flour, dipped them in an egg wash and a seasoned almond flour mix, then pan fried them in coconut oil. They’re crispy on the outside from the bacon and creamy on the inside. They literally melt-in-your-mouth!
Note: To bake your sweet potatoes, simply pierce the potato skin several times with a fork, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 400°F for 45 minutes. You can do this the night before and store it in the fridge (this makes the recipe a breeze).
These are a delicious appetizer, side dish or quick snack for when hunger cravings strike. I like to add them to my breakfast. They pair perfectly with eggs!
Loaded Mashed Sweet Potato Balls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
- 2 slices cooked bacon – optional
- 2 small, baked sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 1 cup almond flour or cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add baked sweet potatoes to a blender with the cooked bacon (if desired) and coconut flour. Blend until smooth.
- Roll sweet potato mixture into 12 balls. Set on a plate and set aside.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat and add coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and water. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour and seasonings. Set aside.
- Working one ball at a time, dip each ball into the egg wash followed by the almond flour, and then transfer to the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Latest posts by Paleo Hacks (see all)
- You’ve Never Tried This: Spaghetti Squash ‘Nests’ Topped with Meatballs (100% Grain-Free) - November 10, 2017
- 3 Worst Foods Possible for Diabetes, Weight Gain and Fat Storage - November 10, 2017
- 7 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Cold Sores - October 27, 2017
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook