No One Needs Store-Bought Tarts When You Can Make These Blueberry-Lemon-Coconut Kind
We all crave something sweet now and again. However, choices like milk chocolate and cheesecake are not always an option for those of us looking to maintain good health. Thus, when deciding on what to have for dessert, some of us like to go for the colorful fruit tart instead. The combination of strawberries, blueberries and peaches scream, “Pick me! I’m good for you.”
But as we learned the hard way with fruit juices, just because something has the word “fruit” in the name, it doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be getting your fruit serving from that food or beverage.
The Not-So-Sweet Side of Fruit Tarts
Your typical fruit tart, such as the one you see on store shelves and in bakeries, contains the following ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
As you can see, these mini pastries are loaded with ingredients we’re told to avoid. According to research, one single fruit tart serving gives you more than half of your recommended daily value of fat and contains over 500 calories.
Sweet Things Can Be Healthy Too
The recipe below is specifically for all your fruit tart lovers. Rather than being made with processed flour, salt and sugar, this healthy fruit tart is made with all natural ingredients, like dates, almonds and coconut oil.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Instead of using refined sugar, the sweetness comes from the dates and the agave syrup (which can be substituted for raw honey). Agave syrup comes from the plant with the same name and has a much lower glycemic index than table sugar, thus you’re less likely to experience blood sugar spikes.
Moreover, being without all the flour and cornstarch, these Raw Lemon Blueberry Tartlets are anti-inflammatory, high in fibre, gluten-free as well as dairy-free. Most of all, the ingredients in the recipe below are able to provide you with a host of essential nutrients unlike the ingredients you would find in store-bought tarts that contain little to no nutritional value.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at foodmatters.tv.
Raw Lemon Blueberry Tartlets
Bite-size lemon berry goodness!
Prep time: 8 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 7oz/200g raw almonds
- 7oz/200g dates
- 2oz/60g desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10.5 oz/300 g cashews
- 1/4 cup light agave syrup*
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream (from a can)
- 1 punnet/pint of fresh blueberries
*Editor’s note: You can swap agave syrup for raw honey.
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor, and process to a fine crumb.
- Grease a mini muffin tin, then line the muffin holes with small circles of baking paper, this process mask tarts easy to remove from the tin.
- Line each hole with some of the crumb mix. Press into the base and up the sides, compacting well. Dehydrate for 8 hrs at 115 degrees Fahrenheit/45 degrees Celsius. Alternatively, place in a preheated 340 degrees Fahrenheit/170 degrees Celsius oven and bake for 10 min.
- Refrigerate until cold before attempting to take them out of the tin.
- To make the raw lemon cream, place the cashews, agave syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut cream into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spoon into tart cases and decorate with fresh blueberries. Enjoy!
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
- 9 Simple Stretches for Tight Hips and Lower Back Pain - April 20, 2018
- 20 Things People with High Functioning Anxiety Can Relate To - April 20, 2018
- THC Makes Cannabis Ideal for Treating Asthma, Study Shows - April 20, 2018