The Throat-Soothing Herbal Cough Drops That Every Mom Needs to Have in Her Purse
This article is shared with permission from our friends at frugallysustainable.com .
Well… it happened.
The dreaded morning wake-up call, “Mom, my throat hurts.”
After an assessment of symptoms and a thorough inspection of the back of the throat, we seem to have caught it at the early stages.
Herbs to Treat a Sore Throat and Cough
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Classic herbs used to treat a sore throat and cough include, but are not limited to rose petals, sage, goldenseal, marshmallow root, slippery elm, horehound, ginger, licorice root, elderberry, echinacea, and cayenne pepper.
For this recipe, I used the herbs I had on hand.
- Slippery Elm. The soothing herb. Rachel Weaver, in her book, Be Your Own Doctor: An Informative Guide to Herbal Home HealthCare defines slippery elm as, “mainly powdered for therapeutic use. It is a mucilaginous herb with properties similar to comfrey. It is gentle and soothing, yet it works extremely well. ‘Mucilaginous’ means sticky and with an ability to coat. Slippery elm does this very well, coating…and healing whatever it comes in contact with.”
- Echinacea Angustifolia Root. One of the most popular herbs associated with immunity and health. Rosemary Gladstar in her book Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide, describes this herb like this, “Echinacea is always more effective if taken at the early signs of illness before the illness has the opportunity to ‘settle in.’ Echinacea is particularly effective against bronchial and respiratory infections, sore throat, and oral infections, and in any situation where the immune system needs fortifying.”
Goldenseal. An extremely potent and highly effect herb, goldenseal is a must-have in all home wellness pantries. Rosemary Gladstar describes goldenseal to be, “a natural antibiotic, and it is often paired with echinacea to help fight off infections, colds, and flus. It is particularly effective in treating infections of the mucous membranes, found in the respiratory, digestive, skin, and reproductive systems.”
Note: Due to its over-harvesting in the wild, only purchase goldenseal from reputable companies that buy from small organic cultivators of the herb. Be sure the goldenseal you use has been “organically grown,” “organically cultivated,” or grown yourself — not “wildcrafted.” I ONLY recommend purchasing organically cultivated goldenseal from Mountain Rose Herbs.
- Ginger Root. Ginger is a powerful antiseptic. A warming herb, ginger functions effectively as a decongestant — used in the treatment of colds and flus, respiratory congestion, and sore throat.
Cinnamon (sweet). Cinnamon — used in combination with ginger — dispels colds and warms the chill of winter. It kills a wide variety of diseases and is a well-known treatment for colds, the flu, and fevers.
Note: For medicinal purposes, organic true cinnamon (sweet) is recommended.
- They work gently and effectively.
- You can grow them yourself, right outside your front door or even in your kitchen.
- It’s our birthright to use the gifts of nature with respect and wisdom.
- Up until recently, at least in the western world, herbs were an integral part of taking care of ourselves.
Health doesn’t come from plastic bottles. Vitality grows naturally from the way you live your life. Deep down, people already know this.
If you want to learn more about herbs as medicine and as food, but are too busy to enroll in an in-person program, join the Herbal Academy of New England for a comprehensive and convenient online herbal course you can complete anywhere, anytime! Learn what your great ancestors knew about the natural world and begin to build your own apothecary. Click this link to learn more and to register.
Read Next: How to Grow Your Own Herbs That Last Forever
Homemade Herbal Sore Throat and Cough Drops
Serves: Approx. 40 herbal drops. *Adjust recipe to meet your needs.
Choose only organically grown herbs. I have linked directly to the herbs and ingredients I personally use and recommend.
- 1 teaspoon slippery elm powder
- 1 teaspoon echinacea Angustifolia root powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger root powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (sweet) powder
- 1/4 teaspoon goldenseal root powder
- 2 teaspoons organic, raw manuka honey
- 1 drop lemon essential oil, optional
- 1 drop OnGuard essential oil blend, optional
Where to buy essential oils for ingestion:
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients.
- With a spoon, work the mixture into a “bread dough” like consistency. Add cinnamon to thicken, if needed.
- Pinch off very small bits of dough and roll them in the palm of your hand to form a pea-size ball. Note: I like to add a small amount of cinnamon to my palm while I roll.
- Dry the balls in a dehydrator OR on a cookie sheet in the oven. Note: If using an oven, set to the lowest possible temperature and leave the oven door slightly open.
- Once dried, store these drops in a small glass container. They will stay fresh in a cool, dark space for a year.
Adults and children take 1-2 drops, 2-4 times a day as needed.
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
Mountain Rose Herbs has everything you’ll need regarding bulk herbs and natural products for healthy, natural living. It’s your one-stop-shop!
You might also like:
- 3 Types of Coughs and the Natural Remedies to Treat Them
- Foods to Soothe a Sore Throat
- Home Remedies for a Sore Throat
1. A. (2014, November 11). How to Make Herbal Sore Throat + Cough Drops. Retrieved August 24, 2016 from http://frugallysustainable.com/herbal-sore-throat-cough-drops/
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Did you know Bacon & Butter may help burn fat like crazy??
Have you heard of the Ketogenic diet? Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Frugally Sustainable (see all)
- Rub This Baking Soda Sea Salt Cream Over Any Itch or Rash For Relief and Healing - September 8, 2016
- The Throat-Soothing Herbal Cough Drops That Every Mom Needs to Have in Her Purse - September 8, 2016