This article is shared with permission from our friends at theglowingfridge.com.
Protein-Filled, Vitamin-B Rich Smoothie Bowl Recipe with Pineapple, Banana and Coconut Chips
Trendy and super nourishing smoothie bowls have become one of morning obsessions.
They’re all the rage, and for good reason.
Smoothie bowls make it easy to pack in a bunch of filling superfoods and nutrients, helping to start the morning out on a vibrantly healthy note. This can make all the difference in your energy and focus throughout the day. Plus, they taste like ICE CREAM – just spoon and crunch your way to breakfast heaven with fresh fruit, granola, coconut chips and whatever toppings you desire.
On a hot summer morning, there’s nothing better than a fruity, sweet and superfood packed frozen bowl of pure goodness. I’m soaking up all the smoothie bowls I can while it’s still hot and humid! Smoothie bowls in the summer and warming oatmeal in the winter, right?!
This recipe is simple but also highly customizable, as most smoothie bowls are, but it tastes super refreshing and is different than any smoothie bowl I’ve ever created. Sometimes simple is best because then you can add a whole bunch of toppings without worrying how they will affect the taste.
This Superfood Breakfast Smoothie Bowl turned a beautiful pastel mint color (I’m all about color for smoothie bowls!) from the spirulina I added. Spirulina is one of my favorite superfoods as it’s made up of 60-70% pure plant protein, complete with 18 amino acids – including all essential amino acids. It’s easily absorbed and easily digested in the body too.
Other than immune support, healthy brain function, healthy heart function and weight management, spirulina provides:
It will keep you energized (hello vitamin B6) and curb unhealthy cravings by keeping you fuller for longer. People really swear by this superfood and while I haven’t made spirulina apart of my daily habit, I definitely notice a difference in my focus and energy when I include spirulina.
Other Health Benefits
This recipe is comprised of frozen bananas, frozen pineapple, any kind of plant milk you like (I used almond milk) and spirulina. Here are some of their health benefits:
- Bananas are high in antioxidants which are extremely beneficial against toxins (free-radicals) in our system. They are also a great way to get your daily intake of magnesium and Vitamin C.
- Bananas have been associated with preventing type-2 diabetes, weight loss and strengthening our nervous systems.
- Bananas are extremely beneficial for your heart because they are packed with potassium. This can protect our cardiovascular system against high blood pressure.
- Pineapples are extremely beneficial for your immune system. This is because they contain more than our daily requirement of Vitamin C.
- Pineapple is a great source of fiber because they contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. This can relieve indigestion, diarrhea and much more.
Just blend it all (slowly) until thick and creamy – it takes a bit of patience. Do not add more liquid unless you want it to be like smoothie soup… then you can go crazy with yummy toppings.
I chose sweet kiwi, fresh blueberries, unsweetened shredded coconut and maple granola for toppings. TO DIE FOR.
Grab your favorite spoon and dig in to breakfast heaven 🙂
^ This is the Organic Burst Spirulina which I adore. They’re not paying me – I just love their products.
Superfood Breakfast Smoothie Bowl
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: None
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any dairy-free milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina (or more to taste)
- Remove frozen bananas from freezer and let sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to defrost a bit. Add all ingredients (except the toppings) to a high speed blender and slowly blend or pulse until thick and creamy. Do not add more liquid unless you want it to be thinner and soupy.
- Transfer to a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
–> Get The Free Cookbook
Shannon is a health blogger living in Chicago, dedicated to making your skin glow from plant based whole foods. She believes beauty and health go hand in hand. The whole foods plant based lifestyle healed her skin and brought balance into her life and now she wants you to pamper your healthy glow, heal your body from within and thrive in abundance.
Latest posts by The Glowing Fridge (see all)