Only have 9 minutes? Do these 5 yoga poses to help fall asleep instantly
Natural Sleep Remedies and Yoga Before Bed
The artificial light from phone screens can defer sleep; I recommend instead reading a book before you go to bed. A hot shower is sure to relax you, and bedtime yoga will do the rest. I like to do yoga before bed, myself. Not only does it keep me limber, but it gets me relaxed and ready for a good night’s sleep. Practicing yoga before bed releases tension and stress from your body and relaxes your mind, allowing you to drift off to sleep easily.
5 Bedtime Yoga Poses
1. Upside-Down Relaxation
- Lay down with your bottom about 6 inches away from a wall or your headboard.
- Extend your legs up the wall (if this stretch is too deep, try moving your bottom back a few inches until you’re comfortable. If not deep enough, move closer to the wall) feeling the stretch in the back of your legs.
- Let your arms rest by your sides, palms up, and breath on counts of 5 in through your nose and counts of 7 out through your mouth.
- Stay in this position for 2 minutes.
2. Winding Down Twist
- Sit cross-legged on the bed.
- Exhale as you slowly reach your right hand on your left knee and reach your left hand behind you.
- Gently twist your torso to the left while allowing your gaze to look behind your left shoulder.
- Breathe deeply (count 5 in through the nose and 7 out through the mouth), return to center, and repeat on the other side.
- Each side should be held for 30 seconds.
3. Nighttime Goddess Stretch
- Lie on your back and place the soles of your feet together, allowing your legs to fall open into a diamond shape.
- Rest your arms on the bed, palms up.
- If this stretch is uncomfortable or too deep, place a small folded blanket or pillow under each knee to alleviate the strain.
- Hold this pose for 2 minutes, breathing deeply as before.
4. Child’s Pose
- Sit up with your knees bent under you (your bottom should be on your heels).
- Roll forward and bring your forehead to rest on the bed ahead of you.
- Lower your chest and close your knees as much as possible, extending your arms out in front of you.
- Hold the pose and breathe deeply for 2 minutes.
5. Rock-a-Bye Roll
- Lying on your back, hug your knees to your chest.
- Cross your ankles and wrap both arms around your shins.
- Inhale and rock your body forward and backward, side to side breathing deeply.
- Continue for 1 minute and roll back, slowly extend your arms and legs and go to sleep.
Add these 5 easy yoga poses to your bedtime routine and feel the difference! Let us know what you think, or any other topic suggestions in the comments below. Happy Healthy Holistic Living!
Read these next to help you get a better nights sleep:
- 5 Plants Help You Get A Better Nights Sleep
- 4 Drinks To Help You Sleep
- Breathing Technique Can Help You Sleep
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Michelle Toole (see all)
- Massive Flu Outbreak? Here’s the REAL Story the Mainstream Media Won’t Touch - January 25, 2018
- Giant ‘Dead Whale’ Is Haunting Reminder of Massive Plastic Pollution Problem - February 7, 2017
- Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled - January 13, 2017