Only have 9 minutes? Do these 5 yoga poses to help fall asleep instantly
Natural Sleep Remedies and Yoga Before Bed
The artificial light from phone screens can defer sleep; I recommend instead reading a book before you go to bed. A hot shower is sure to relax you, and bedtime yoga will do the rest. I like to do yoga before bed, myself. Not only does it keep me limber, but it gets me relaxed and ready for a good night’s sleep. Practicing yoga before bed releases tension and stress from your body and relaxes your mind, allowing you to drift off to sleep easily.
5 Bedtime Yoga Poses
1. Upside-Down Relaxation
- Lay down with your bottom about 6 inches away from a wall or your headboard.
- Extend your legs up the wall (if this stretch is too deep, try moving your bottom back a few inches until you’re comfortable. If not deep enough, move closer to the wall) feeling the stretch in the back of your legs.
- Let your arms rest by your sides, palms up, and breath on counts of 5 in through your nose and counts of 7 out through your mouth.
- Stay in this position for 2 minutes.
2. Winding Down Twist
- Sit cross-legged on the bed.
- Exhale as you slowly reach your right hand on your left knee and reach your left hand behind you.
- Gently twist your torso to the left while allowing your gaze to look behind your left shoulder.
- Breathe deeply (count 5 in through the nose and 7 out through the mouth), return to center, and repeat on the other side.
- Each side should be held for 30 seconds.
3. Nighttime Goddess Stretch
- Lie on your back and place the soles of your feet together, allowing your legs to fall open into a diamond shape.
- Rest your arms on the bed, palms up.
- If this stretch is uncomfortable or too deep, place a small folded blanket or pillow under each knee to alleviate the strain.
- Hold this pose for 2 minutes, breathing deeply as before.
4. Child’s Pose
- Sit up with your knees bent under you (your bottom should be on your heels).
- Roll forward and bring your forehead to rest on the bed ahead of you.
- Lower your chest and close your knees as much as possible, extending your arms out in front of you.
- Hold the pose and breathe deeply for 2 minutes.
5. Rock-a-Bye Roll
- Lying on your back, hug your knees to your chest.
- Cross your ankles and wrap both arms around your shins.
- Inhale and rock your body forward and backward, side to side breathing deeply.
- Continue for 1 minute and roll back, slowly extend your arms and legs and go to sleep.
Add these 5 easy yoga poses to your bedtime routine and feel the difference! Let us know what you think, or any other topic suggestions in the comments below. Happy Healthy Holistic Living!
Read these next to help you get a better nights sleep:
- 5 Plants Help You Get A Better Nights Sleep
- 4 Drinks To Help You Sleep
- Breathing Technique Can Help You Sleep
Latest posts by Michelle Toole (see all)
- Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled - January 13, 2017
- Stores Are Pulling Nutella After Report Links It To Cancer - January 1, 2017
- This Is Why You Absolutely Need To Stop Wearing Shoes In Your House - December 27, 2016
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook