10 Simple Exercises and Stretches to Keep Your Knees Strong and Healthy
Knee pain is one of the most common pain people experience. It is never fun. Especially as you age, your knees may begin to weaken and become prone to injury. Degenerative joint conditions such as arthritis are also common. Whatever is causing your knees to ache, movement and exercise help most people significantly.
When you are achy and stiff, it can be tempting to stay sedentary so you don’t aggravate the pain. But this will actually backfire longterm, making you more stiff and achy and decreasing your range of motion and ability to be active. Make a commitment to yourself and your body to maintain an active lifestyle as much as possible, and your body will thank you for years to come.
If you have weak knees, it is an injury waiting to happen. It may take time, but sooner or later it will likely hit. Strengthening your knees can help to prevent injuries and injury recovery.
Try these 10 Knee-Strengthening At Home Workouts
Partial squats are a fantastic way to train your leg muscles and improve your coordination and balance.
- Stand in front of a chair 12 inches away.
- Keep your legs hip-width apart.
- Your toes should face forward.
- Lower yourself halfway as if you wanted to sit down on a chair.
- Hold for 2 – 3 seconds.
- Rest for 2 – 3 seconds, then repeat 10 – 12 times.
Wall squats are a more advanced way to gain strength.
- Keep your feet on the floor, rest your back against the wall, and sit down in an imaginary chair.
- Don’t bend too deeply at first.
- Hold for 5 – 10 seconds.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times, and try to hold it longer each time.
Standing Hamstring Stretch
Your hamstrings support your knee’s healthy functioning and help to stabilize your body. Standing hamstring stretches are a great way to improve your range of motion and flexibility.
- Stand straight with one foot forward, toes up.
- Bend the opposite knee. Don’t move the hip. Bend until you feel a stretch,
- Hold for 10 seconds
- Release and repeat the other leg.
- Do 10 – 12 reps.
Prone Straight Leg Raises
Prone straight leg raises are a fantastic way to gain more strength, balance, and flexibility.
- Lie on your stomach. Keep your legs straight.
- Tighten the butt muscles and hamstring on one leg and lift it up.
- Hold for 3 – 5 seconds and lower.
- Do 10 – 15 reps on each side.
Marching in Place
Marching in place can relieve the pain of your kneecap and increase strength.
- Stand straight.
- March in place for 60 seconds at a moderate pace.
Calf raises can strengthen your meniscus, which is a common culprit of knee pain when torn.
- Hold the back of the chair.
- Slowly lift your heels off the ground.
- Slowly lower.
- Repeat for 10 – 12 reps.
Single-Leg Calf Raises
Single-leg calf raises can strengthen your meniscus.
- Hold the back of the chair.
- Stand on one leg.
- Slowly lift your heel off the ground.
- Slowly lower.
- Repeat for 10 – 12 reps on each side.
Straight Leg Lifts
Straight leg lifts can strengthen your quadriceps to take pressure off your knees.
- Lie on your back.
- Keep one leg at a 45-degree angle. Keep the other one straight.
- Lift the other leg up the floor.
- Hold for 10 seconds minimum building up to a minute.
- Return to your starting position.
- Do 5 reps on each side.
Single Leg Raises
Single leg raises help to strengthen your buttocks and hip taking the pressure off your knees.
- Lie on your side with your legs stacks, bottom leg bent, and the top one straight.
- Raise your top leg to 45 degrees and hold for 5 seconds.
Repeat 10 – 15 times each side.
Step-ups are fantastic for knee-strengthening and pain relief.
- Use a step and stand in front of it with feet hip-width apart.
- Step up to the step with your left foot.
- Tep the right foot on the lower.
- Repeat the other side.
- Do 20 – 30 reps.
If you have knee pain, these knee exercises can help you tremendously.
Do you know any exercises that can improve knee pain? Share it in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!