Amazing Anti-Inflammatory, Gut Healing, Blood Purifying Sleepytime Drink
Turmeric milk is a traditional Indian and Ayurvedic beverage that is typically drunk before bed. Similar to what we do here in the States with warm milk before bed. Although, I never really enjoyed warm milk before bed as a kid, I sure do enjoy this delicious beverage. The warming effect it has on the body puts you right to sleep!
I chose to add ginger to my recipe to further enhance the anti-inflammatory properties (especially for the digestive tract!). Honey is optional as a sweetener…but it does also add more medicinal properties! I use coconut milk because it is full of healthy fats and contains lauric acid, antimicrobial lipids and capric acid, which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Turmeric has many beneficial healing properties and have been shown to:
- ease arthritis pain, due to it’s anti-inflammatory properties
- help the liver detoxify by enhancing liver function, and also enhances the flow of bile (aka gallstone prevention!)
- boost blood circulation, and also thins the blood (CAUTION to those already on a blood-thinning medication)
- heal and soothe the digestive tract, and even help prevent ulcers due to the antiseptic properties
- reduce the pain and fever associated with illness
A host of scientific investigations have also looked at the ability of curcumin to fight cancer. Curcumin kills several types of cancer cells in the laboratory. In animals, curcumin prevents or slows cancer in the skin, breast, liver, fore-stomach, duodenum and colon. Curcumin also has anti-angiogenic properties; translation: curcumin seriously slows new blood vessel formation in tumors, causes asphyxiation of tumors and thus preventing their growth and metastases.
Here is how to make this delicious healing beverage:
- 2 cups coconut milk (or milk of your choice) — where to find
- 1 teaspoon turmeric — where to find
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (the absorption of turmeric is actually enhanced when combined with black pepper)
- 1″ piece of ginger sliced
- raw honey to sweeten, if desired — where to find
*Note: If you have an ulcerative intestinal problem, omit the black pepper as it can be problematic with ulcers. Black pepper can even make small cuts in the bowels of people with Crohn’s disease
- In a saucepan add all ingredients (except honey, if using) and whisk to combine
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble
- Then turn heat down to low and simmer for about 5 minutes so the flavors meld
- Strain out the ginger
- Add honey and stir
- Makes 2 servings, so you can share the love
Here’s how I keep it on hand for ease of use:
In a small jar combine:
- 3 Tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp powdered ginger
- Cover the jar and shake to combine
- To use: Mix 1 teaspoon of the powdered mix with 1 cup of milk
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
She loves experimenting in her kitchen and coming up with all sorts of new and creative real food recipes with the hopes of bettering the health of her family and anyone who follows her blog. She wholeheartedly believes that prevention is the best medicine.
Latest posts by Kate Doubler (see all)
- 4-Ingredient Natural Gummies Help Fight Colds, Lower Anxiety, and Drastically Improve Your Sleep - February 12, 2016
- Here’s What Happens To Your Body If You Have A Mug Of Turmeric Bone Broth Before Bed (With Recipe!) - January 22, 2016
- Healthy Caramel Corn Recipe - December 23, 2015