This Ancient Ginger and Garlic Soup Recipe Fights the Flu, Common Cold, Excess Mucus & Sinus Infections
This fantastic article was written by Sarah Biren, a baker, cook, author, and blogger living in Toronto. We encourage you to check out her website here!
Winter is nearly here and that means the flu season is on the rise. With the change of temperature, and the cold air being more conducive to spreading germs, many of us are already feeling run down. Maybe some of us are sniffling while other have a sore throat. Oftentimes, these symptoms are not strong enough for us to miss a day at work to rest up, but they are a painful nuisance all the same. Instead of suffering through the day, try cooking this soup recipe which can boost your immune system and relieve your symptoms.
Health Benefits of Garlic
Garlic contains allicin, a compound that is known for anti-microbial, antiviral, anti-fungal, and antioxidant properties. It also affects the body by lowering blood pressure, supporting the digestive system, the circulatory and immune system. If you’re not a fan of garlic in your food, you can try these odourless garlic supplements by Nature’s Bounty.
- regulate high blood pressure,
- fight allergies,
- diminish plaque from the arteries,
- regulate blood sugar levels,
- expel parasites,
- reduce inflammation,
- help prevent weight gain,
- treat sore throat,
- and soothe upper respiratory tract infections
Garlic is a vital source of vitamins of nutrients that can combat cold and flu symptoms. Researchers conducted a 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, testing the potency of allicin powder on cold symptoms. The results showed that the powder reduced the symptoms by over 50%. (1)
Health Benefits of Ginger
Ginger has been used for centuries to cure colds, fevers, digestive issues, and other conditions. It is also a potent anti-inflammatory, and effective in soothing arthritis. Many studies have proven its effectiveness in treating nausea and vomiting as well. Many studies proved ginger to have antioxidant, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties, which are helpful when curing cold and flu symptoms. (2)
Flu-fighting Ginger And Garlic Soup
Here is a recipe by ITrustNaturalCures that combines these two superfoods into a soup, and is bound to alleviate the symptoms of colds, flus, and sinus infections.
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 50g of grated root ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 7 cups of chicken broth or stock (or vegetable stock for vegans)
- 1 finely diced medium-hot chili pepper
- Place the onions, garlic, and ginger in a large pot and gently saute on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock or broth and bring the soup to the boil.
- Gently simmer until all the ingredients are softened.
- Add the chopped chili pepper and simmer for 5 minutes before serving with warm, crusty bread
- If you are not a fan of spicy, try swap out the chili pepper and add sprinkle in some cinnamon instead for other health benefits.
- For a heartier soup, add carrots and butternut squash to the pot. Allow them to simmer until softened and then puree the soup.
- If you want to turn the cold-fighting benefits of this soup into a full meal, add sliced mushrooms, chopped broccoli, and cubed organic chicken cutlets into the pot. For vegan options, add beans instead of chicken. Add some wild rice or quinoa into the individual bowls and you have an easy and flu-fighting meal!
- B Upadhyay. Health benefits of Garlic. PharmaTutor. 2014, 2(4), 90-92. http://www.pharmatutor.org/pdf_download/pdf/Vol.%202,%20Issue%204,%20April%202014,%20PharmaTutor,%20Paper-11.pdf Accessed: November 30, 2017.
- Brett White, MD. Ginger: An Overview. Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California. http://embarazoynauseas.com.ar/descargas/citas_maternil/2007%20American%20Family%20Physician.pdf Published: June 1, 2007. Accessed: November 30, 2017.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!