This article is shared with permission from our friends, Jenni + Mimi, Registered Holistic Nutritionists and founders of The Naughty Nutritionists! Join our Naughty Kitchen and Download your FREE copy of the “10 Naughty Secrets to NEVER Diet Again” … These are our juicy secrets for losing weight & feeling beautiful in your body without dieting ever again… Download here !
Chili isn’t only for meat lovers, and meat isn’t only for chili lovers!
The truth of the matter is that chili lies in the eye of the beholder (or the nose of the beholder… or, the hands…) we don’t know how that saying goes and how we can apply it to chili, but basically, we’re saying that chili is to each his own.
If you are okay going meat-free, you can really make chili out of anything: sweet potato, carrots, chickpeas, eggplant (we haven’t tried the eggplant version, but we would totally be down for it). Chili is really all about the wonderful spices: chili and cumin!
We actually don’t know how many times we’ve been told that chili needs meat, oh but it’s not chili without ground beef they say. But, really, if you give a veggie loaded chili a try you will see that it can taste just as wonderful as if there were meat in it (and a bonus, you are basically eating a bowl of vegetables, so it’s a great way to not have just salad for dinner).
It’s cooling down out there, and our kitchens are heating up. Not just our ovens, but our foods and our bellies too, this veggie loaded sweet potato chili is flavour packed and incredibly nutritious for you.
Sweet potatoes are hands down one of our favourite nutrient packed foods. They are rich in beta-carotene (which is a precursor to Vitamin A, a fat-soluble antioxidant), and contain some pretty amazing anti-inflammatory health benefits due to their anthocyanins (pigments). The potato paired with all the diced veggies and beans make this meal well rounded and filled with all your macronutrients.
Our favourite way of enjoying this meal is by adding a dollop of yogurt (your choice, vegan or not), avocado, and some scallions.
Drop us a comment by telling us how you like to enjoy vegan chili!
Veggie Loaded Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 small- medium onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots minced
- 2-3 pieces of celery minced
- 1.5 large sweet potato diced
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 large peppers any colour chopped
- 1 large jar of pureed tomatoes
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 organic vegetable bouillon cube we use yeast-free
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp oil to pot.
- Add in onion, garlic, celery and carrot a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir until soft, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and red wine and cook down for about 3 minutes.
- Add in tomato puree, bouillon cube, water, diced tomato and spices. Stir and cook about 1 minute.
- Add in rest of ingredients (veggies and beans). Place lid on and cook over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Take lid off and cook another 15-25 minutes (reduce) until desired consistency.
If using crock pot:
- Add all the ingredients to your crock pot and cook on low for apx. 8 hours.