What do you know about bee pollen? If nothing significant, other than bees, comes to your mind you need to read this article! Did you know that bee pollen is considered one of the most downright nourishing foods in the world? It contains nearly all nutrients required by human beings to survive. Well, if you want to know more just keep reading.
What is Bee Pollen?
This might be so simple that one might think it is common knowledge, however there are very few people who are aware that pollen is the male seed of a flower that is essential for the fertilization of the plant. Yes, you heard me correctly! As bees fly from flower to flower their fuzzy bodies become covered with pollen. They look like tiny, yellow fur balls. When they arrive at the next blossom, some of that golden pollen gets transferred and pollination is successfully completed.
Pollen is not only a fertilizer, but also food of a young bee. It is approximately 40% protein and the other 60% consist of nearly all the nutrients that a human being requires. To break it down even further, about half of the protein found in pollen is in the form of free amino acids. That means that they are ready to be used directly by the body.
I find it very interesting how bees gather pollen. This is tedious, yet rewarding process. As the honeybee settles onto the flower, she uses her jaw and front legs to lightly scrapes off the granular unfastened pollen from the stamen of the flower. If you were to look at a bee under a microscope you would discover what they call a pollen combs. These combs are enlarged and broadened tarsal segments of her legs that consist of thick trimming of bristles. Bees use pollen combs in midflight to brush the gold powder from their coat and legs. They use their auricle as a hammed to push the gathered pollen into these concave areas called baskets. Baskets are located on the outside of the tibias. Once the bee has her baskets filled, the pollen is packed down into one, single golden granule. Honeybees carry the collected pollen back to their hive where it will serve as food for the colony.
Bee Pollen Benefits
- 8 – 40% Protein, Calcium, Carotene
- B-Complex Vitamins, Copper, Sodium
- Vitamin C, Iron, Plant Sterols
- Amino Acids, Magnesium, Simple Sugar
- Essential Fatty Acids, Potassium
- Enzymes, Manganese
Bee pollen is fully packed with the essential ingredients for life. It is an incredible remedy for depression, exhaustion and cancer. It also aids with colon disorders and promotes better digestion. By boosting the immune system, pollen can help people who suffer from allergies. Even in cases of infertility, pollen has proven to stimulate ovarian function.
Much like other bee products, pollen has anti-biotic as well as anti-microbial, anti-viral, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.
Keep in mind that heat destroys pollen’s vital enzyme activity and lowers the nutrient value. Consequently, pollen should not be used in cooking or added to your tea. Instead, why don’t you try this recipe I have for you? It is just packed with nutritional value and is delicious taste even your kids will love!
Bee Pollen Candy: No Bake Energy Bites
- ½ cup of Bee Pollen
- 2 tbsp. of Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 tbsp. of Water
- 3 tbsp. of Raw Honey
- ½ cup of Rolled Oats
- 1 tbsp. of Vanilla
- ½ cup of Almond Butter
- ½ cup Tahini
- Coconut for rolling
- 1 tsp of Nutmeg
- 1 tsp of Cardamon
- In a medium sized bowl mix cocoa, water and bee pollen.
- Add honey, mix well.
- Add peanut butter, tahini, oats, vanilla, nutmeg, and cardamom. Mix thoroughly.
- Using your hands roll the mass into bite sized balls.
- Roll in coconut and store in the refrigerator.
Tip: Moisten your hands with water for easier rolling. You can even freeze it for later!
It is worth to mention that it takes one bee eight hours of work a day for an entire month to gather just one teaspoon of pollen. Bee pollen is richer in protein than any other animal source. It contains more amino acids than beef, eggs, or even cheese. So make sure you do not take for granted all the wonderful gifts mother nature has created!
Note: Exercise caution when introducing bee pollen into your diet! About .05% of the entire population in the world is said to be allergic to bee pollen. Start with a tiny amount and if reaction does not occur, steadily increase the intake. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, make sure to consult your doctor before using bee pollen due to the fact that some research shows it is not safe during pregnancy.