Written by: Jess Baumgardner
Canned soup is full of processed, harmful ingredients such as BPA (an endocrine disrupter, aka a chemical that interferes with your hormones), MSG, tons of sodium, pesticides, GMOs and who KNOWS what else.
What is a health conscious person like you have to do to get a decent bowl of soup around here?
Here’s a probable (and very safe) solution for you – to avoid all of this harm and danger, make your own soup at home!
I know, soup may seem like a daunting task at times, but it is actually super quick and easy to do, especially once you have found recipes that suit your taste.
This coconut carrot soup for instance not only tastes amazing, but is ready in just 30 minutes and is chock full of vitamin A and healthy fats.
Let’s take a look at the top benefits you get from this delicious soup’s ingredients:
- Coconut Milk – Made from coconut meat and water, coconut milk contains lauric acid, capric acid and antimicrobial lipids that make it antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral.
- Carrots – A serving (aka 1 medium carrot) contains 210% the average daily recommended amount of vitamin A plus vitamin C and beta carotene to support the immune system.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains curcumin, which is extremely beneficial in reducing chronic inflammation (which could eventually lead to disease, such as cancer and heart disease).
- Garlic – While raw garlic is ideal, you can still preserve some of its anticancer properties by crushing it and letting it sit for 10 minutes before cooking. Here, we add it to the soup at the very end. Garlic also kills infections and helps to fight viruses – so it’s super helpful during cold and flu season!
- Bone Broth – This broth contains vital nutrients like collagen, proline, glycine and glutamine that help mend the lining of the gut, improve joint health and support the immune system.
- Ginger – This is another powerful anti-inflammatory ingredient and may also lower cholesterol levels, reduce pain, help with indigestion and fight infection among many other benefits.
Okay, awesome, right? Time to get cookin’! Make one batch of this, or double the recipe below and store half of it in the freezer for future dinners. I know I’m really excited to have this back on my menu for Fall!
Coconut Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 pound carrots (approx. 4 cups), peeled and chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and left to sit for 10 minutes (to release allinaise)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp ginger, sliced
- 3 cups bone broth (or vegetable broth)
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- Heat large pot over medium heat and add coconut oil, onion and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add turmeric and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add broth and bring to a low boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add coconut milk and garlic.
- Add your soup mix to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth (if you use a blender, cover the top with a towel to prevent any hot liquid from escaping and splashing you!).
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper and enjoy!
Article originally published on FitLIfe.tv republished with permission