Fight Cancers, Boost Heart Health with Roasted Carrot Avocado Salad
There’s something about this time of year that makes recipes with words like “roasted” really catch my eye. Not only are all of the leaf-inspired home decor and cozy pumpkin scents getting me into all things fall, but recipes too, are getting me in gear for the cooler season.
For those not quite rejoicing about the start of autumn, I understand.
That’s why the roasted carrot avocado salad is the perfect meal. It’s one part roasted, seasoned and warm, one part cool, crisp and summery.
It’s easy to make; while the carrots are roasting in olive oil and curcumin deliciousness, prepare the greens and slice the avocado and voila! Done.
The cumin-roasted carrots produce an amazing flavor, tasting somewhat like a sweet potato with a little kick than a carrot plucked from the refrigerator bin. Coupled with the leafy greens and creamy avocado, it’s a dish worth making time and again, no matter what the season.
How to Make the Roasted Carrot Avocado Salad
Get ready to prepare a great-tasting, super healthy salad. Of course, always use organic ingredients from the list below whenever possible.
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
- 4 large carrots, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or a more healthy coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1 bunch of spinach leaves (in fact, spinach is all I chose to use instead of mixing with arugula)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix carrots, 1 tablespoon olive oil (the other tablespoon will be used for the salad dressing), cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, until carrots are coated.
- Spread the carrots out on a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 25–30 minutes until browned. Turn over about halfway through.
While the carrots are cooking, prepare the salad:
- Make a lemon dressing by mixing the lemon juice and the other tablespoon of olive oil, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the carrots from the oven, place them over the greens and avocado, then enjoy!
Health Benefits of the Roasted Carrot Avocado Salad
Carrots have several health benefits, including the ability to fight colon cancer due to their anti-cancer extracts.(1)
Furthermore, they’re great for heart health; a study out of the Netherlands that spanned 10 years found that of the four colors of carrots — orange/yellow, white, red/purple, and green — that the commonly-eaten orange/yellow variety was the most protective against cardiovascular disease.(1)
Last but not least, although there are not many studies on the subject despite the popular association that carrot consumption significantly improves vision, University of California at Los Angeles researchers did discover that women who ate carrots at least twice weekly had much lower glaucoma rates than those who ate them less then once a week.(1)
As for avocado, the creamy food is healthy fat, meaning that while it contains fats, it’s the “good” kind that does amazing things for the body. For that reason, it’s often suggested as a substitute for heavy dressings, butter and mayo. Avocados contain lutein, a carotenoid, which has been shown to help improve vision, especially as people age.(2) Additionally, compounds in avocados play a role in maintaining healthy blood lipid levels.
Cumin has been shown to lower total cholesterol and pancreatic inflammatory markers, and has also been linked to reducing blood glucose which may be beneficial for diabetics.(3)
Sources for this article include:
Inspiration for this recipe from: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/
Article originally posted on RawFoodWorld.com republished with permission
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
It’s high time our collective glasses become half-full once again. This isn’t to say that we’re going to turn a blind eye when it comes to serious news, and if we feel it’s important to share, we will. However, there will be more dreaming, less dwelling . . . more positivity, less panic. We’ll achieve this through a variety of information including news articles, uplifting videos and images, helpful recipes, and so much more.
Latest posts by Raw Food World (see all)
- Curcumin Found To Be An Effective Treatment For Ulcerative Colitis! - December 13, 2017
- Apple Fritters (Gluten-free, processed sugar free, and vegan) - December 22, 2015
- Teen with epilepsy and autism is now able to use medical marijuana at school due to new government policy! - November 26, 2015