10 Foods That Help Cure Headaches Without A Single Pill
Types of Headaches
Apparently, sinus headaches are a thing. It is easy to reach for that over the counter pain reliever, however, by doing so, you are increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke, not to mention kidney failure. That is why it is so important to know some of these helpful, non-harming, home remedies.
So here are my top 10 home remedies to cure even the most stubborn of headaches.
10 Natural Headache Remedies for All Types of Headaches
H2O is the universal reason for life. Our bodies consist of roughly 60% of water. Our bloodstream is composed primarily of water, as well as our tissues and organ systems. All of our bodily functions depend on water. As you are reading this article, your vision is fueled by water.
Even the simplest actions such as laughing and running, depend on water. Drinking two liters of water a day will protect your organs from damage by surrounding them with shock absorbing fluid. Water also acts as a solvent by dissolving electrolyte minerals, such as potassium and sodium, which are key to the proper conduct of energy.
Even if you are hot or cold, water will stabilize your temperature by sweating or retaining heat. That being said, at the first sign of a headache, you should rehydrate your body.
- Drink one glass of water if you notice a sign of a headache, and continue to take small mouthfuls through the day.
- Having a sports drink along with your water will boost your chances of feeling better. Sports drinks consist of electrolytes which treat headaches caused by dehydration.
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Tip: In case you did not know if you are experiencing a headache from dehydration having a glass of beer will not help. You should stay away from alcohol altogether since it dehydrates your body even further.
2. Ice Pack
If you think your headache is due to sinus problems, your go-to remedy would be a simple cold compress. Since sinus headaches are caused by inflammation of the nasal passages putting an ice pack, or a frozen veggie bag, on your forehead shrinks the blood vessels and improves circulation.
- Place ice in a thin cloth and apply to your forehead for a couple of minutes.
- Or simply place a cold towel on your head for 10 minutes.
Tip: Never, ever, put ice directly onto your skin as it can cause damage. Continue cold compresses until you get some relief.
Ginger is a widely known anti-inflammatory remedy. It eases cold, and flu symptoms promotes digestion and is known to prevent cancer. By relaxing the blood vessels, ginger diminishes inflammation and triggers natural opiates in the brain that help reduce headaches.
- Steep one or two slices of fresh ginger in one cup of boiling water.
- Drink this tea three times a day to prevent or lower inflammation and headaches.
Tip: Ginger tea works best at the first sign of a headache.
The brown bark of the cinnamon tree has served us for many centuries as a spice. In winter months, cinnamon is a perfect spice for your cup of tea. However, cinnamon has irreplaceable medicinal attributes that come from three types of components: cinnamaldehyde, cinnamyl acetate, and cinnamyl alcohol. Thus, cinnamon has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory functions and is an excellent remedy for sinus caused headaches.
- Grind four or five cinnamon sticks. Make a paste out of warm water and cinnamon powder. Apply straight to your forehead and temples. Lie down and relax for 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can add two teaspoons of cinnamon powder into a glass of warm raw, organic milk or organic coconut milk.
Tip: Try to consume cinnamon in your daily diet, as it helps to improve brain activity.
5. Hot Water
When you are stressed, your entire body tends to become stiff. Tense muscles most likely cause that throbbing pain in your head. Consequently, applying heat can relax those stressed muscles and improve circulation.
- Just relax and take a hot shower. Make sure that the water is hitting the back of your neck.
- If you are in a hurry and do not have time for a shower, just submerge your hands or legs in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes. Doing so will mend your headache by boosting blood circulation.
Tip: Make sure the water you are using is bearably hot, and not lukewarm.
Even though peppermint is a popular flavor that is used to freshen our breath up, it can be used to soothe your headache with its calming properties. Peppermint comes in different forms, tea and essential oil being the most common.
- Add one teaspoon of dried peppermint to one cup of boiling water. Let steep for about 10 minutes. Once the tea is ready, you can add some honey for extra flavor.
- For instant relief rub your temples, jaw, and your neck gently with some peppermint oil.
Tip: Inhaling the aroma of peppermint steam can not only help your headache but also ease symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.
7. Eucalyptus Oil
This popular oil has pain relieving properties. Much like peppermint, eucalyptus oil offers calming effects and helps relax stressed muscles that contribute to that awful headache.
- Take a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil and massage your temples for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Tip: Eucalyptus oil works best when blended with other oils such as coconut or almond.
8. Betel Leaves
You might not have heard of this, but betel leaves have painkilling and cooling properties. These leaves can efficiently relieve a headache within minutes.
- Using two or three betel leaves, make a paste. Apply to forehead for 30 minutes.
- Chew one or two leaves for instant pain relief.
Tip: Add some rosemary essential oil to the paste, it will increase camphor levels for added pain relief.
A Headache Caused by Intestinal Problems (“Stomach Migraines”)
When you think of lemons, you are probably reminded of those lemonade stands run by your neighbors’ kids. This tangy, yellow fruit is not only used in cooking but is also an effective remedy that will treat your headache, especially if they are related to intestinal gas problems.
- Fill a glass with warm water and squeeze half a lemon into it. Enjoy!
- For immediate relief make a paste out of the lemon skin and apply it directly to your forehead.
Tip: Use a straw to avoid acid wear on your teeth’s enamel.
Natural Migraine Relief
Not everybody knows, but apples and apple cider vinegar are useful remedies that treat headaches.If you are suffering from migraine headaches, a simple whiff of green apples can reduce your pain.
- If a headache hits you first thing in the morning, eat a slice of salt sprinkled apple alongside some warm water.
- Place a towel over your head and breath in the steam from a hot pot of water with three to four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Drink this twice or even three times a day for long lasting relief. If you have a sweet tooth, just add some honey.
Tip: You know what they say: one apple a day keeps the doctor away! Make sure to leave the skin on!
These are some of my favorite natural remedies for the most common kinds of headaches. What are some of your favorites?
Here are a few more great remedies for a headache:
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!