Your standard BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato) sandwich is far from paleo friendly. But, that can easily be fixed by keeping the sandwich’s core ingredients that offer a wide range of nutrients and healthy fats, and simply swap out any components that don’t make the cut.
Below, you’ll find every paleo dieter’s dream: a mouth-watering low-carb BLT recipe, a Baconnaise recipe (bacon mayo) that won’t make you sacrifice any creaminess, and finally, a fluffy gluten-free paleo sandwich bread that’ll bring your sandwich to the next level.
Who said eating healthy had to be bland or boring!?
Paleo BLT Wrap Recipe
Time: 5-10 min
Cleaning up your diet can be made simple by converting traditional sandwich foods into lettuce wraps. This healthy alternative frees you of any unnecessary inflammation or bloat that comes with traditional white sandwich bread (if you’d like, find a gluten-free paleo bread below as an alternative). Once you’ve tackled the bread, swapping out conventional mayo is another easy fix (see below).
These wraps are perfect for any meal and occasion. Enjoy!
- 1 head butter lettuce (or collard greens, dinosaur kale, romaine or cabbage)
- 1 pound bacon, cooked
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons homemade mayo or Baconnaise (recipe available below)
- Wash the butter lettuce and pat dry. Lay 2-3 leaves on top of each other for each wrap.
- Place one piece of bacon on each wrap, 1-2 slices of tomato, 1 slice of avocado, and an optional smear of homemade mayo or Baconnaise
- Roll up and enjoy!
Paleo Baconnaise Recipe
Bring your BLT to the next level with this velvety, bacon-ey mayo recipe. By simply collecting some of the bacon grease by baking (or frying) up a half pound of bacon, you’re set to make the best paleo spread – ever.
Time: 6 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 1/2 cup bacon fat, in liquid form at room temperature
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Combine the bacon fat and the olive oil in one measuring cup and set aside.
- Using either a small bowl with an immersion blender (or hand whisk) OR a food processor (like I chose), blend the egg yolks and whole egg until they become frothy. Pete notes that when you see the eggs change dramatically in color and texture, you’re almost finished. Once the eggs are sufficiently beaten, slowly add the oil mixture.
- Continue to add the rest of the oil over the span of about 1-2 minutes.
- Finish with a seasoning of salt and vinegar to your taste.
Gluten-Free Fluffy Paleo White Bread Recipe
Time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 1 loaf
Sure, a BLT wrapped in lettuce in a healthy delicious option, but nothing can beat the satisfaction and savouriness that comes with a hearty sandwich on freshly baked break. Good news, you don’t have to sacrifice anything! Amp up your BLT by making this completely paleo, gluten-free fluffy white bread that rivals any conventional sandwich bread.
- 1 ½ heaping cups Arrowroot Powder
- 1 heaping cup Almond Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Egg Whites (so yes, 8 total eggs)
- 4 Tbsp Walnut Oil
- ½ Tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Coconut Vinegar
- Coconut Oil Spray (or other oil will do – for the tins/pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the arrowroot powder, almond flour and baking powder and stir until incorporated. In another bowl, add the eggs, egg whites, walnut oil, sea salt and coconut vinegar and whisk until incorporated.
- Next, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until thoroughly incorporated. Spray your bread loaf pan down with the coconut oil.
- Bake the loaf uncovered for 30-35 minutes (mine is closer to 35) or until a toothpick comes out clean.