Gluten-Free Brownies With a Secret Ingredient That’s Not Black Beans or Sweet Potatoes
This article is shared with permission from our friends at blog.paleohacks.com.
Rich, dark and chocolatey…brownies are the easiest, most divine Paleo dessert.
This recipe uses pureed beets to create a moist, chocolate brownie that’s hiding a sweet surprise.
Beet the Bloat
Beets are a great swap for those who aren’t a fan of beans, which are commonly used in flour-less brownie recipes (black bean brownies). While beans have a tendency to cause bloating, beets can prevent it.
Beets are rich in fiber, which is extremely beneficial to our digestive health. A diet high in fiber can help prevent bloating as “too little fiber, fluids, and physical activity can lead to constipation, which can result in bloating” says Web MD. Check out this beet juice video for more info!
Beets also give you the following health benefits:
- Rich in vitamin C, which boosts the immune system
- Helps with your body’s detoxification process, and purifies your blood and liver
- Contains anti-cancer properties
- Fights inflammation
- Lower your blood pressure – according to Dr. Mercola, “Drinking beet juice may help to lower blood pressure in a matter of hours.”
Another variation of this recipe is to use 1 ½ cups of shredded, raw zucchini in place of the beets. Shred it very finely and then mix well into the batter, and you’ll end up with brownies that have literally zero trace of zucchini.
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
I love the idea of making brownies in a mini muffin pan because it’s forced portion control. One little morsel is all you really need to satisfy your sweet tooth. When I have a large pan of brownies in front of me it’s hard to just cut a little square and be done with it!
If you’ve got a hankering for something sweet, you’ll want to try these.
Luscious Beet Brownie Recipe
Recipe by Diana Keuilian
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 5 oz dark chocolate, 72% or higher cocoa content
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 omega-3, free range eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teapsoon almond extract
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cooked beets, pureed (to save time use organic, canned beets)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil, then dust with blanched almond flour. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate. (If you don’t have a double boiler then fill a skillet with a few inches of water and set a small pot in the water, place over very low heat.) Add the coconut oil and raw honey. Mix until fully combined. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In small bowl combine the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts. Add the cooled chocolate mixture.
- In a medium bowl combine almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined. Mix in the pureed beets.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until fully set. Cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before cutting. *Tip: Use a serrated, plastic knife to cut your brownies — this makes it less likely to crumble.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
Latest posts by Paleo Hacks (see all)
- These Avocado Grilled Cauliflower Sandwiches Will Make You Forget Grilled Cheese - March 13, 2018
- 7 Gentle Yoga Moves to Fix Sciatica Pain - March 7, 2018
- 27 Easy Low Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes - January 9, 2018