Here’s Why You Should Always Close The Interior Doors In Your Home Before a Hurricane
There’s no doubt about it: hurricanes are terrifying. No matter how much we prepare ourselves for the coming storm, there’s always a worry that it won’t be enough and there’s something you missed. There honestly is no possibility of being over-prepared for an oncoming natural disaster, and often this preparedness is the difference between life or death (1, 2). In the case of a hurricane, your preparedness is key. Whether you choose to evacuate or choose to wait for the storm out within the walls of your home, you must act appropriately in order to protect yourself from the oncoming damages (1, 3)!
How To Increase Safety During A Hurricane
Much studying and testing have been completed on rigorous winds, after which wide variants of conclusions have been reached, namely one by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (1, 4). This institution has formally recommended to homeowners that they make sure to close all of their interior doors – as well as exterior windows and doors – in the time of a hurricane in order to ensure their utmost safety (1, 4).
While this might sound like somewhat confusing, though exceptionally simple advice, homeowners are specifically recommended to follow it in order to best protect their homes (1). You see, it’s helpful to understand that when a home is affected by the strong winds of a hurricane, it is under extreme pressure, and when that wind enters via an open window or door, it creates even more pressure, especially on the roof of the home (1). That pressure then begins to build up, filling up with air like a balloon, which eventually leads to your roof having in and water filling your home (1, 4).
By simply closing all of the interior doors of your home, you are helping to disperse all of the pressure that is coursing throughout your home, thereby reducing the effect that all of this force can have on the roof (1). Since the roof of your home is essentially the only thing that is separating you from the wild storm outside, it’s an important thing to protect. By simply closing every single one of your interior doors, as well as closing all exterior doors and windows, you have a better likelihood of salvaging your roof (1).
Other Hurricane Preparation Tips
Other highly important hurricane preparation techniques are as follows:
- Gather all of the information possible about the storm: where it’s headed, how big it is, etc (6). asses your risks and home vulnerability to not only storm surge, but also flooding and wind. Be sure to understand the National Weather Service forecast, and pay attention to all watches and warnings.
- Properly prepare (6). Be sure you have enough food, water, and other important supplies especially during the case of a power, water, gas, and internet outage. Keep an emergency kit and flashlights readily available.
- If you evacuated, don’t return home until officials have deemed it safe (6).
Storm safety is important. Be sure you do all that you can to protect yourself from oncoming disasters and storms!
Latest posts by Abbey Ryan (see all)
- Canadian Study Gives More Evidence Cancer Is A Lifestyle Disease Largely Caused By Food - December 12, 2018
- Justice For Caitlyn: Animal Abuser Will Spend 15 Years In Prison - December 4, 2018
- ‘Sea of Plastic’ Discovered In The Caribbean Stretches 5 Miles And Is Choking Wildlife - December 3, 2018
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!