This Homemade Epsom Salt And Coconut Oil Foot Scrub Will ERASE the Cracks in Your Heels
This article is shared with permission from our friends at naturallivingideas.com.
It’s warm out and time to put on your flip flops. If you are like me, you’ve been waiting all winter to free you feet from socks and shoes. The only problem is your feet might need some TLC before you bare them to the world.
I love to walk barefoot or in sandals as much as I can. The only side effect from exposing your feet is that you’ll need to exfoliate them more often. In addition to being exposed to dust and dirt all day long, some other common causes of cracked heels include (via naturalbeautytips.co):
- Naturally dry skin / thick dry skin (callus) around the feet is more prone to cracks;
- Standing on your feet for prolonged hours at work or home;
- If you are overweight, the high pressure on the pad under your feet causes it to expand sideways and if your skin lacks flexibility the high pressure on your feet leads to cracked heels;
- Ageing – Thick dry skin in old age loses elasticity which causes cracks, therefore, the chances of having cracked heels increase with age;
- Soaking of feet in hot water for prolonged time;
- Taking hot water shower or hot bath habits;
- Dehydrated or dry feet;
- Unhealthy and dry scaly skin because of diseases or climate or disorders- Psoriasis, eczema, thyroid, diabetes, athlete’s foot, etc.;
- Deficiency of zinc, vitamins and omega 3.
This is an easy DIY foot scrub that will help you get the dry skin off and give your feet a refreshing tingle.
Peppermint Foot Scrub
Peppermint is excellent for improving blood circulation and it has anti-fugal properties. Peppermint oil contains menthol, which creates a cooling sensation. It nourishes dull skin and improves the texture of oily or greasy skin. Its anti-fugal properties can help ward off nail fungus too.
- ½ cup Epsom salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup dried peppermint leaves (optional)
- 8-10 peppermint essential oil
- Glass jar
Mix Dry Ingredients
Mix the Epsom salts, sugar and dried peppermint leaves in the glass jar. Give it a good mix so that the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Add Essential Oil
Add 8-10 drops of the peppermint essential oil to the melted coconut oil. You can add more if you want, but don’t go overboard: peppermint oil is strong!
Add the Melted Coconut Oil
Slowing pour the melted oil into the container with dry ingredients.
Mix thoroughly until it is evenly distributed.
How to Use
- Begin by soaking your feet in a warm basin of water for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a nail brush to clean around your toe nails and to get dirt out from in between dry skin cracks in your heel.
- Follow up with a pumice stone to help remove more dry skin from the heel.
- Use a generous handful of the peppermint scrub and rub it all over your feet. You will immediately feel the tingle!
- Rinse off with warm water.
The coconut oil will still remain on your feet, so be careful when you step out. Towel dry your feet and follow up with this Peppermint Heel Cream.
Treat your feet to a weekly spa treatment to help keep your feet happy.
They aim to help improve your life and save the planet by providing you with tips and information on natural and home remedies, herbs and essential oils and healthy living.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!