I have said it before, I am not big on make-up I have worn it maybe 3 times in my life it’s just not my thing. But when I do you can bet its all natural.
Do you know what chemicals are in your makeup? When you find out you will definitely be making your own why not start with homemade foundation.
Phthatale family or di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP) and di(2-ehtylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP)
- Can result in: endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCS) and carcinogen linked to birth defects; premature breast developments; lowered sperm counts; testicular injury; damage to reproductive organs; lung, liver and kidney cancer
- Why used: makes plastic soft and malleable.
- Found in: nail polish, hair-straighteners and sprays, body lotions, and deodorants.
- Banned in: Europe
Lauryl sulfate(SLS), Sodium laureth sulfate(SLES)
- Can result in: suspected carcinogen linked kidney and liver damage; nervous system disruption; damage to eyes leading to cataracts; eczema and dermatitis, known to inflame skin layers.
- Why used: foaming agent and emulsifier.
- Found in: toothpaste, shampoo, bath salts, body and shower gels.
- Banned in: Europe and Central America
Paraben preservatives or alkyl-p-hydroxybenzoates (methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl)
- Can result in: hormone disrupter, estrogenic (mimics natural estrogens that leads to cancer); linked to breast cancer; skin rashes.
- Why used: germicide and preservative.
- Found in: conditioners, hair styling gels, nail creams, foundations, concealers, mascara, facial masks, skin creams, and deodorants, sunscreen, hair-coloring.
- Banned in: Japan and Sweden. Under review in the UK
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
. Formaldehyde family or Diazolidinyl urea, 3-diol Imidazolidinyl urea, DMDM Hydantoin , Quaternium-15, Nitropropane-1, Formalin , Methanal , Methyl aldehyde, Methylene oxide, Morbicid acid, Oxymethylene
- Can result in: carcinogen, causes allergic reactions and contact dermatitis; headaches; irritates mucous membranes; damaging to eyes; linked to joint and chest pain; depression; headaches; fatigue; dizziness and immune dysfunction.
- Why used: disinfectant, germicide, fungicide, defoamer and preservative, cheap and mixes easily with water.
- Found in: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, liquid antiseptic hand wash, skin lotions, bubble bath, hair care products, antiperspirants, nail polishes, talcs; mascara, mouthwash, make-up remover.
- Banned in: Europe
Amine family Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), amonoethanolamine (MEA)
- Can result in: hormone disrupter; carcinogen linked to liver and kidney cancer; irritant to hair and skin; corrosive to eyes; causes contact dermatitis; react with other chemicals to form carcinogenic nitrosamines.
- Why used: emulsifier, pH adjuster, and preservative, foaming agent added to coconut oils.
- Found in: shampoos, soaps, hairsprays, sunscreens, foundations, concealers, eyeliner, talc, face powders, shaving creams, hair colouring products (women and men), hair sprays.
- Banned in: Currently under review in the USA, UK and Europe
Propylene / Butylene Glycol (PG)
- Side Effect: linked to possible brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities respiratory and throat irritation, central nervous system depression, pulmonary oedema, brain damage, hypoglycaemia, skin rashes and dermatitis, neuro-toxin that weakens protein and cellular structure.
- Why: cheap substitute for glycerine, Humectant (retains moisture).
- Found in: deodorants, body lotions, body washes, hair conditioner, hair gel, creams, hand-wipes, lipsticks.
- Banned in: Europe(1)
You can learn more and even do a search of your particular product with Skin Deep Safe Cosmetics Database a campaign being run by the Environmental Working Group.
DIY Homemade Foundation
Base: Arrowroot powder
Color: Cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg
1. Start with a base of arrowroot powder (1 tsp. for dark skin – 1 Tbs. for light skin)
2. Slowly add in one or combination of the cocoa powder, cinnamon, or nutmeg until you reach your desired tone. Not a lot of precise measuring just play around until it fits your skin tone.
3. Use a brush to apply foundation. Make sure to tap off excess before swiping face.
Want to turn it into a cream foundation? It’s super easy.
Homemade Foundation Cream
Use powder from recipe above, add a few drops of one of the following liquids (start with one or two drops and add slowly after you mix):
You can push this into a compact and use a brush like you would normally, or you can add more to create a liquid.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!