You will never believe how good this caramel is when it only has one ingredient. It is vegan honey made from apples. Now you don’t have to go without your caramel any longer. You can use it as a honey substitute, as a syrup that you control the thickness of, instead of unhealthy corn syrup. It is also much cheaper than buying expensive healthy sweeteners, such as maple syrup or agave nectar.
As this recipe only contains apples, it is perfect for a number of diets including vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, paleo, unprocessed and most healthy diets. Best of all, this recipe is refined sugar-free so you know that all this sticky goodness comes straight from the healthy apple.
This recipe couldn’t be easier but it’s not quick. However, it’s worth it for the thick sticky syrup that you get at the end of it.
How to pick your base
To make the caramel, you just need 1 liter or about 4 cups of apple juice. You can use whatever type of apple juice you like. We suggest juicing your own apples to avoid the added sugars, flavors and colorings of store-bought juices.
You can use organic apples as they haven’t been heavily processed, sitting in a warehouse for a very long time, or coated in pesticides before they get to your kitchen.
How to use caramel
Now you can use your new caramel in any number of gorgeous ways. For example, you could:
- Add it to your smoothies
- Top ice cream with it
- Use it as a dip for fruit
- Use it as a jam or fruit spread
- Sweeten cakes, puddings or bread
The possibilities are endless. Just use your imagination.
How to make caramel with just one ingredient (vegan, gluten-free)
You’ll never believe this gooey syrup could be made from just one ingredient.
- 1 liter of apple juice (fresh or from a carton)
- Bring the apple juice to boil in a large pan.
- Simmer the apple juice for 30-60 minutes until it changes color and thickens. Just be sure to watch it, when it’s been on for a while it can very easily burn. The longer you leave it, the thicker the syrup will become.
- Test the syrup by placing a teaspoon of the simmering caramel on a plate, wait until it cools to check the thickness.
- Turn the heat off when the syrup reaches the desired consistency.
- Pour straight into a jar and allow to cool. (Carefully. It is very hot)
- Store in the fridge.
- When you want to use it – if you want to soften it – place the jar in a bowl of boiling water until it melts slightly (if required).
Article originally published on GreenThickies.com republished with permission