By Lindsay Sibson
Well… because… BREAD.
The chewiness, warmth and crustiness is enough to make you want to close your eyes and kiss that fresh loaf. A nice hunk of bread is simply love… in food form.
BUT, then there is the whole gluten thing. Ugh.
With food allergies and intolerances on the rise, a growing number of people are recognizing the damaging effects of eating gluten-rich foods, such as bread. Symptoms of gluten sensitivity include: “foggy mind,” depression, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, ADHD, fatigue, headaches and abdominal pain.
I am WAY too familiar with these irritating symptoms, which is what sent me on a path to find a bread that is kind and gentle for my body.
And ALAS – I found my way to Coconut Flour Bread!
Benefits Of Coconut Flour Bread
HOW To Make Coconut Flour Bread
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 whole eggs
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4-5 tbsp organic, grass-fed butter
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Organic, cold-pressed, unrefined virgin coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan using the coconut oil. Line the pan with baking paper and spread another coating of oil.
- With a handheld electric whisk, beat 3 egg whites until they become stiff (set the yolk aside).
- With a food processor, mix together: 3 yolks, 4 whole eggs, butter, coconut milk and honey.
- Slowly mix into the food processor: coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Combine everything to create a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in the egg whites (from step 3).
- Place the mixture into the loaf pan and bake at 325 F for 40 minutes.
- Note: The top will brown, but the mixture will NOT have throughly cooked yet. Cover the loaf pan, reduce the heat to 275 and cook an additional 5-10 minutes
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven. Take the bread out of the pan and set on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the loaf is completely cooled (about an hour), it is ready to slice and eat!
Now the difficult part is choosing WHAT you will use this bread for! Try out these 3 healthy options below:
- Spread on some Homemade Healthy Nutella for a sweet and chocolately treat!
- Place some sliced banana and Homemade Almond Butter between two slices to create a quick on-the-go lunch.
- Make avocado toast by crushing some avocado on toasted bread and finishing it off with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Article originally published on FitLIfe.tv republished with permission