Make Your Own Vitamin C Supplement At Home – It’s Easy And Costs You Nothing
For many years, people have used vitamin C supplements as a remedy for the common cold. Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in the body; it also contains antioxidants that help block free radical damage. (1)
Unlike vitamin D, which can be manufactured in the body from the sun, vitamin C must come from an outside source and cannot be stored in the body. (1) Thus, the only way to get enough vitamin C is through food sources and supplements. However, did you know that almost all of the vitamin C supplements on the market come from genetically engineered corn? (2)
You may be wondering how you can get enough vitamin C if you want to avoid store-bought supplements. The simple answer is to make your own at no extra cost!
Importance of naringin and hesperidin flavonoids found in citrus peels
Homemade vitamin C has live enzymes, allowing for 100% assimilation in your body. You needn’t bother with a dosage label or approval by the FDA. Your solution is citrus peels! (3)
In citrus, there are different types of flavonoids, a compound that exhibits antioxidant properties in the human body. Naringin, a powerful antioxidant, is a flavonoid found in the peels of grapefruit, mandarin, and lemons. Several studies have indicated that naringin is so powerful that it may reduce radiation-induced damage to cells. (4, 5, 6, 7)
Hesperidin is another flavonoid found in the white inner layer of oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits. Studies have shown that hesperidin reduces the proliferation of cancer cells, induces programmed cell deaths (8), and plays an important role in helping those with hypoglycemia. (9)
Pharmaceutical companies and health food stores do not want you to know this!
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
It’s always best to purchase organic citrus fruits. After you eat the fruit, follow these four easy steps to make your own dried citrus powder:
- Save all your citrus peels and spread them onto dehydrator trays.
- Allow the peels to dehydrate at 100 degrees F for about 24 hours, or until dry and crispy.
- Grind the peels in a blender of your choice until they are as fine or coarse as you want.
- Store in an airtight container and leave in a cool location. (10)
When comparing gram for gram, there are higher levels of vitamin and minerals found in citrus peels than the fruit itself. For example, there is double the amount of vitamin C and triple the amount of fiber in just 1 tablespoon of lemon peel compared to 1 wedge of lemon. (4)
After you’ve stored some dried citrus powder, try taking it by the spoonful on a daily basis or simply add into smoothies, soups, salads, juices, or raw desserts. Now that you know how to make Vitamin C, you can use this immune boosting remedy any time of year!
Check out this video on how to make Candied Lemon Peel! A sweet splurge you can make alongside your Vitamin C supplement.
Article originally published on RawFoodWorld.com republished with permission
(1) MedlinePlus. (n.d.). Vitamin C: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. Retrieved from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002404.htm
(2) Gucciardi, A. (2013, March 05). Major Supplements Openly Contain GMO Vitamin Sources. Retrieved from http://naturalsociety.com/supplement-brands-openly-contain-gmo-vitamin-sources/
(3) Matesz, D. (2010, October/November). Citrus Peel Medicine. Retrieved from http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/citrus-peel-medicine.aspx?PageId=1
(4) Tanzman, J. P., RD, LDN, CLC. (n.d.). 5 Nutritious Produce Peels You Can Eat. Retrieved from http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/nutrients-in-produce-peels/
(5) Kim, D., Lee, S., Lee, S., Park, K., Kim, W., & Moon, S. (2008, February 22). Requirement for Ras/Raf/ERK pathway in naringin-induced G1-cell-cycle arrest via p21WAF1 expression. Retrieved from https://oup.silverchair-cdn.com/oup/backfile/Content_public/Journal/carcin/
(6) Li, H., Yang, B., Huang, J., Xiang, T., Yin, X., Wan, J., . . . Ren, G. (2013, July 18). Naringin inhibits growth potential of human triple-negative breast cancer cells by targeting β-catenin signaling pathway. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23694763
(7) Jourdan, P. S., McIntosh, C. A., & Mansell, R. L. (1985). Naringin Levels in Citrus Tissues’. Retrieved from http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/77/4/903.full.pdf
(8) Matesz, D. (2010, October/November). Citrus Peel Medicine. Retrieved from http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/citrus-peel-medicine.aspx?PageId=2
(9) Jung, U. J., Lee, M. K., Jeong, K. S., & Choi, M. S. (2004, October). The hypoglycemic effects of hesperidin and naringin are partly mediated by hepatic glucose-regulating enzymes in C57BL/KsJ-db/db mice. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15465737
(10) Harmon, W. (2014, May 15). Homemade Dried Lemon Peel In 3 Steps (with video!). Retrieved from http://gnowfglins.com/2014/05/15/homemade-dried-lemon-peel/
Image source: flic.kr
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!
It’s high time our collective glasses become half-full once again. This isn’t to say that we’re going to turn a blind eye when it comes to serious news, and if we feel it’s important to share, we will. However, there will be more dreaming, less dwelling . . . more positivity, less panic. We’ll achieve this through a variety of information including news articles, uplifting videos and images, helpful recipes, and so much more.
Latest posts by Raw Food World (see all)
- Curcumin Found To Be An Effective Treatment For Ulcerative Colitis! - December 13, 2017
- Apple Fritters (Gluten-free, processed sugar free, and vegan) - December 22, 2015
- Teen with epilepsy and autism is now able to use medical marijuana at school due to new government policy! - November 26, 2015