This article is shared with permission from our friends at kaynutrition.com.
A simple and warming one pan dinner that can feed the whole family. Loaded with sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and Italian herbs it’s full of flavour, and the addition of the white beans make it filling without the extra starchy calories.
For instance, basil has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties and has been found to help prevent osteoarthritis. Moreover, garlic has anti-cancer benefits and oregano is rich in antioxidants. Oregano is also used to treat coughs, fevers and congestion.
Tuscan Skillet Chicken
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook time: 7-10 minutes
- 2.5lbs chicken thighs (about 8 thighs)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz white mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 14oz can of cannellini beans*
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Pepper
*I’ve used cannellini beans in this recipe, but you could easily use any white bean you like. If you are using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, be sure to remove some of the extra oil when you dice them up.
*Editor’s note: It is recommended that you use jarred beans or BPA-free cans. Another option is to soak and prepare the beans yourself.
Note: If you don’t have a pan that can be transferred from the stovetop to the oven, you can finish this recipe on the stovetop by keeping it on a very low heat for 10-15 or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat and oven to 350F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Wash and chop all of your vegetables, and drain and rinse the can of beans.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on a medium-high heat, then add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate. You’re going to add it back to the pan later.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan, and add the diced onion and sliced mushroom. Allow to cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until onions begin to be translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and sundried tomatoes, allow to cook another 1-2 minutes. You don’t want the garlic to burn, so decrease the heat if needed.
- Add the dried herbs and allow to heat for about 30 seconds until fragrant. At this point I like to add a small splash of water, maybe 1-2 tablespoons, this helps to pick up any flavours off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes to the mixture and stir to well combine. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Return your chicken thighs to the pan. Ensure that they are submerged into the tomato mixture, if they overlap that is not an issue.
- Add the beans to the pan, spreading them out evenly.
- If you have an oven proof skillet, cover the skillet and transfer it to the oven for 15-20 minutes. If you do no have an oven proof skillet, continue cooking on the stovetop on a low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove your pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve warm with a side salad.