Psychologists Suggest Mothers Take Breaks By Going On Mom-Cations
Who doesn’t want a vacation? And on top of that, who doesn’t think their mom has more than earned a decent break in the form of a vacation? While experts make it clear that motherhood comes with many financial and time stressors, many mothers don’t end up getting the proper rest they need. According to many psychologists, however, mothers need to be taking breaks by going on mom-cations (1)!
Moms Should Take Breaks, Psychology Says
A mom-cation is a vacation taken with only moms who completely understand the need and benefits involved in “me time” (1). According to many experts, a mom-cation does more than provide rest for the mom of the family; it actually provides benefits for the entire family (1). Dr. Nava Silton, a psychology professor, says that “it’s very important for kids to see that balance that ideally needs to be achieved in a family situation” (1).
It’s important to understand that motherhood is a full-time job–doing the laundry, making and following through on appointments, volunteering for school activities, making meals, and more (2). For many moms, the idea of taking a vacation away from all of these things that are important family life sounds altogether too indulgent to accept, but it’s highly important to understand that it’s good for a mom to have a legitimate break (2). A few days spent without worrying about if someone else ate their dinner, is sleeping, pooping, or learning as much as they should at school might sound like an impossible dream come true, but it’s exceptionally healthy for a mom and her family (2).
While sometimes a full-blown vacation is somewhat difficult to manage due to time constraints as well as a tight budget, there are many ways that a mom can get breaks in life (3). See the following list for ideas (3):
- Give yourself one morning off every week. The fact of the matter is that once you become a mom, you say goodbye to weekends, so it’s important to pick at least one morning during the week that’s your day to recharge (3). Find a yoga class, go shopping, get your nails done, or read a book. Just spend some time recharging your batteries.
- Take a full day off once a month. Many moms spend their lives constantly thinking over “what do I have to do next,” which tends to result in every day filling up with chores and errands (3). It’s important, then, to set aside an entire day at least once a month to catch up on fun, rest, and yourself.
- Don’t do household chores every day. While it’s obviously difficult to avoid the laundry piling up in hampers, the dishes in the sink, and the dirty bathrooms, designating days where you intentionally don’t do these chores can vastly help your sanity (3). Do other productive things, but save the chores for specific days.
- Take time to schedule, plan, and actually make a mom-cation happen. Relaxing at home and developing a healthy lifestyle is very important, but there’s nothing like a few days of calmness, quiet, and relaxation spent away from the chaos and craziness of normal life (3). Set aside money, set aside time, and try to get a mom-cation planned this year.
Mom’s come home from mom-cations refreshed and well rested. According to one, “I came back and I was a better mom. A more patient mom. A better wife. You learn to appreciate what you have at home because you got that break from it all” (1). Taking as little as two days away from the calamities of life can greatly improve a mom’s health-mental, physical, and emotional. Give it a try!
Latest posts by Abbey Ryan (see all)
- FDA Warns About Dangers Of Epidural Steroid Injections For Back Pain - December 13, 2018
- Canadian Study Gives More Evidence Cancer Is A Lifestyle Disease Largely Caused By Food - December 12, 2018
- Justice For Caitlyn: Animal Abuser Will Spend 15 Years In Prison - December 4, 2018
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!