If You Have Receding or Unhealthy Gums, Here Are Proven Solutions
A smile is a great way to make a first impression, but what if you’re not very confident with your smile? One of the most common dental problems people are facing is a receding gum line.
What is a receding gum line? Gum recession is what happens when margin of the gum tissue that surrounds the teeth wears away, or pulls back, exposing more of the tooth, or the tooth’s root . When this happens, a pocket of space is left between the gum and the tooth where disease-carrying bacteria may enter. If gum recession is left untreated the supporting tissue and bone structures of the tooth can be damaged, resulting in tooth loss.
What Can Cause A Receding Gum Line?
So how does this happen? Well, according to WebMD, a receding gum line can be a result of :
- Periodontal Diseases. These are bacterial gum infections that destroy the gum tissue and supporting bone that keep our teeth in place. Gum disease is the main cause of receding gums.
- Genes. Studies show that 30% of the population is predisposed to gum disease, no matter how well you take care of your teeth, it’s just in your DNA.
- Aggressive Tooth Brushing. Brushing your teeth roughly or incorrectly can cause the enamel on your teeth to wear and your gums to recede.
- Insufficient Dental Care. If you rarely brush, floss, or clean your mouth in general, you leave yourself susceptible to plaque to build up and turn into tartar. Tartar builds on and between your teeth, causing gum recession and it can only be removed with a professional dental cleaning.
- Hormonal Changes. Hormonal changes in a woman’s life like puberty, pregnancy, and menopause, can leave gums sensitive and vulnerable to recession.
- Tobacco Products. People who use tobacco products regularly are more likely to have plaque on their teeth that is hard to remove and can cause gum recession.
- Grinding/Clenching Teeth. Doing this puts too much force on your teeth and may cause your gums to recede.
So what do you do if you notice your gums are receding. Well, besides visiting a dentist, there are a few things you can do at home to improve your overall gum and mouth health.
What Can You Do About Your Receding Gums?
Get your Free copy of The Bacon & Butter Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Gum recession is no laughing matter, and it can leave your smile looking worse for wear. Here are some tips you can use to boost your gum health and help get your gums back to where they belong.
Brush Your Teeth Properly
Using the proper techniques and products when brushing your teeth will not only help with receding gums, but improve the health of your mouth in general. This short video explains the proper technique you should use when brushing, whether it’s with a manual or electric brush.
You could also try incorporating a gum massage  into your dental cleaning routine. Combine 1-2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil with 1-2 tablespoons of water and rub the mixture into your gums. Eucalyptus is great at treating painful, inflamed gums because of its anti-inflammatory properties .
Oil pulling has been used for 3000 years in the Ayurvedic healing  and has recently gained a resurgence in popularity. Commonly, a tablespoon of coconut, sesame, or olive oil is swished around the mouth for 10-20 minutes. Coconut oil is one of the most commonly used oils because of its antibacterial properties. It’s been shown to help remove harmful plaque, destroy harmful bacteria in the mouth, and even help with bad breath .
Yarrow is an herb closely related to chamomile, and has been used by various different cultures for years . Traditionally it has been used to reduce inflammation and stop minor bleeding, perfect for those with painful, sensitive gums that are receding. You can purchase yarrow essential oil and combine it with a carrier oil to apply directly to your gums, or you can make a tea from the herb itself .
Don’t Avoid The Dentist
Dentists are your best friend when it comes to protecting your mouth, so if you think there is something wrong, you should go see them. Only dentists can remove the plaque and tartar that has built up on the teeth and root surfaces below the gum line. This is carefully removed and the exposed root area is smoothed to make it more difficult for bacteria to attach itself .
A receding gum line isn’t the end of the world, if treated promptly and properly. Put your best smile forward by making sure your mouth is taken care of!
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!